Best Electric Smoker: Finding the Perfect One for your Smoking Needs
Set and forget – this is one thing that makes electric smoker a must-have appliance. It will allow you to smoke meats in the most convenient fashion that is possible. Guesswork is minimized, and hence, guaranteeing the best outcomes all the time. The performance of the smoker, however, will highly depend on the quality and functionality of the product that you will choose.
In the rest of this post, we will share with you some of the essential considerations and six of the best choices for the best electric smoker. By the time that you are finished reading, we hope that you will be enlightened and that it will be easier for you to make the right decision.
Benefits Of Electric Smokers
Do you really need an electric smoker? Isn’t it an unnecessary cost? Take a look at the benefits that we will briefly mention below, which can convince you to purchase an electric smoker.
- Maintains Constant Temperature: One of the best things about an electric smoker is that it has a consistent temperature, which will allow even smoking and cooking.
- Versatile: You will be in complete control with the use of an electric smoker. You can adjust the thermostat, making it possible to choose a temperature that is suited for a specific application.
- Multiple Applications: Despite being called an electric smoker, it does not mean that its use is limited to smoking. Depending on the product that will be chosen, you can use it even for grilling and roasting.
- Ease of Use: Traditional smokers are complicated to use. In contrast, electric smokers are easy to operate. You do not have to guess as the functions are automatic. Set it and leave the unit. In the end, you can expect the best outcomes.
Choosing The Best Electric Smoker
If you have no idea on which one to pick, below are some of the factors that you need to consider as you try to narrow down the possibilities:
- Ease of Use
- Cleaning and Maintenance
How much meat do you plan to smoke? How much space is available at home or on the patio? These are some of the things that you need to ask to determine the right size of a smoker for your needs.
One of the most important for an electric smoker is to have a thick steel wall. The latter will make the unit withstand the test of time while also improving the efficiency to retain heat.
You need to take a look at the control to determine if the unit will be user-friendly. The control should have a strategic position, making it easy to access. In addition, it must also be easy for you to make the necessary temperature adjustments.
Find a smoker that is able to maintain consistent temperature all throughout. It should be equipped with innovative technology to retain the level of heat that is required by your specific recipe.
To make the smoker last for a long time, you need to have it regularly cleaned. With this, choose a product that will be effortless for you to maintain through the years.
This is an important consideration if you want a smoker that will be easy to move from one place to another. Pick one with wheels and handle, which will make it a snap to change the position of the smoker as required.
This is one thing that is overlooked by many despite its importance. Pick a product that comes with an extended warranty coverage. With the latter, you can expect free repair and replacement of defective parts within the duration covered by the warranty.
While the budget is an important consideration, this should not be the sole deciding factor. Find the perfect balance between budget and quality. You can read online reviews and learn from what other people are saying.
Tips For Using An Electric Smoker
Choosing the best electric smoker is just the first step. Even if you have the best product available in the market, it will be useless if you do not use it properly. With this, below are some of the tips that you might want to keep in mind:
- It is important that you prepare your meat the right way. Choose the right cut and make sure that it is fresh. To enhance flavor, use herbs, sugar, and salt. Dry rubs will make it taste better. Allow it to sit for the night for the optimal absorption of flavor.
- It is not only the meat that you should season. For the maximum flavor to be reached, you also need to preseason the smoker. Run it for about four minutes with wood chips so that the flavor will be enhanced.
- Proper timing is also critical, especially when it comes to when you will put the meat. Before smoking the meat, see to it that the unit is already pre-heated.
- Patience is a virtue, even when it comes to smoking. If you want the best-smoked meats, you need to be patient. Most of the recipes will require you to smoke the meat for three to eight hours.
Below is a short video that will show you more tips on how to use an electric smoker:
Top Picks For The Best Electric Smoker
In this section, we will briefly go through six of the best products that are available in the market, as well as some of the notable features that will make them worthy of your attention.
Has a large area for smoking
Not suitable for small spaces
Window can be prone to fogging
- If size is the most important consideration for you, this should be on the top of your list of choices. It has 975 square inches of cooking area, which means that you will be able to smoke more meat in a short span of time. This is unlike in the case of smaller alternatives wherein you have to separate the meat into smaller batches.
- This is an excellent choice even for beginners as it is equipped with user-friendly features. It has a drip catching system, which will make cleaning a lot easier. There is also a convenient remote, which will allow you to control the unit even from a distance.
- It comes with a control unit that is conveniently located in the front of the product. This is easy to access, and hence, it will be effortless for you to adjust the functions as desired. You will be able to choose the specific temperature that is required for a specific recipe.
- Lastly, it has a front view with glass window, which will make it easy to monitor the progress of smoking.
Maintains consistent temperature
Easy to assemble and operate
Door may not always close properly
- This is an ideal option for people who are looking for a smoker that comes with an affordable price. Even without the need to spend a lot, you will be able to enjoy top-notch features in a product that can deliver consistent temperature all throughout.
- In terms of its cooking area, there is a 505-square inch cooking space. There are also three cooking racks inside, which you can adjust. This provides you with the ability to configure the interior space depending on what you will smoke.
- Simplicity is another reason why this is an excellent option. This is a no-frills smoker, which makes it the perfect choice even for beginners. You do not need to have technical expertise and extensive experience, yet you can be assured of the best outcomes.
- Lastly, the unit comes with double-wall construction. This is excellent not only in terms of durability, but this also allows the temperature to be maintained and not to escape. This improves the efficiency of the smoker.
Easy to move around
Perfect even for compact spaces
Cooking surface is quite small
Insulation is not superior
- With dimensions of 16 x 14 s 30 inches, this may not be as huge as other electric smokers, but this should not be a reason for you to ditch the idea of choosing this. Its small size can also be a good thing, especially if you are looking for a product that is space-efficient.
- Design-wise, one good thing about this product is that there are two handles on the side. It has an ergonomic design, making it easy to hold. The handles will also make it easy for you to move the smoker from one place to another.
- This unit will also offer versatility, providing you with complete control over how it is used. There are three settings for adjusting the temperature based on what a recipe requires. There are also two cooking grids that will allow it to accommodate more despite its small size.
- Lastly, there is a wood chip box that is made from steel, which is excellent when it comes to durability.
Designed with wheels
Drip pan could be better
- This might be an expensive product, but with its quality and functionality, you can be confident that it will deliver a performance that is hard to match. It has premium construction, providing you with the guarantee that it will last for a long time.
- Feature-wise, one of the best things about this model is that it is equipped with wheels. You can move it easily to different places. Plus, you can lock the wheels, allowing the unit to remain in a stable position.
- Another good thing about this product is that there are four shelves in all. Three of these shelves can be removed. This will allow it to accommodate even larger meats as you can configure the interior space based on what you will smoke.
- Lastly, it is also great because of its stainless steel construction. The latter is a material that can last for a long time.
Generous interior space
Straightforward to operate
May not easily reach high temperature
- The size of this electric smoker is one of its best features. It has dimensions of 17 x 14 x 31 inches. This means that you will have plenty of space for smoking. There are also four racks that are inside the smoker, which will allow you to smoke more.
- In terms of being user-friendly, this is also a product that should be on the top of your list. There is a digital interface that will allow you to operate it in a manner that is straightforward. Even when it comes to cleaning, you do not need to exert a lot of effort.
- It comes with a fully insulated exterior, which allows it to maintain the right level of heat. However, the problem is that it may take quite some time before the unit reaches the desired temperature.
- The unit comes with a digital smoke generator. The latter will be doing most of the work and will also eliminate guesswork. This will provide you with the assurance of the best outcomes all the time. It has an automatic technology that allows the unit to make adjustments on its own.
Has a viewing window
Made by a trusted brand
Generous interior space
Some parts are flimsy
Thermostat can be unreliable
- Among others, one thing that we love the most about this product is that it comes with a transparent viewing window in the front. There is no need to open the door every now and then just to monitor the progress. This also means that smoke will be trapped inside, which will help to maximize flavor.
- For portability, this unit comes with wheels at the back and handles on the side. This means that transferring it to a different location will be effortless for you to accomplish.
- There is a blue LED display on the top part of the unit, which is one of many features that makes it user-friendly. The latter allows you to easily monitor the temperature and the cooking time. Even when exposed to direct sunlight, you can easily read the display.
- The radio frequency remote is also a plus for this product. This will allow you to control the smoker even from a distance. The latter can be used when adjusting the temperature.
Choosing the best electric smoker can be an overwhelming task because of the abundance of the options that are available. To avoid having regrets, choose a product not only on the basis of price. Take time to gather feedbacks from other people. Research about the features of one product and understand what the technical specifications mean.
From the five products that have been mentioned above, if there is only one that I can personally recommend, it would be Masterbuilt 20075315 Front Controller Smoker. The latter comes with generous cooking space, premium construction, and user-friendly features.