Best Espresso Machine Under 100: Top Choices At Affordable Prices
We all know that an espresso machine can be a great addition to your home, office, or even for a small business. The problem, however, is that most people think that it is not only complicated to use, but they also believe that it is expensive. As long as you know where to look, however, you can find an excellent product at a price that will not hurt the wallet.
If you are looking for the best espresso machine under 100, we got you covered. In the rest of this post, learn more about the things you should know before you buy, including some of the top picks that are currently available in the market.
Types Of Espresso Machine
In choosing a budget-friendly espresso machine, one thing that you should do is to determine the specific type that you will need. In this case, the following are the options that you will have.
Steam-Driven Espresso Machine
This is the older type from the two. It starts by boiling water and after which, the liquid will be pushed to the coffee grounds. This leads to a gradual increase in pressure. The steam will make the coffee grounds saturated until the point that a shot can be extracted.
The best thing about this type is that it comes with a cheaper price. However, there are many people who do not like it because they have the tendency to make the output burnt, and hence, can result in a bitter taste. There is also lack of pressure, making it unable to produce crema.
Pump-Driven Espresso Machine
As the name implies, it makes use of a pump to inject pressure in the water that will be passing through the coffee grounds. Compared to steam, the pressure that is created is more consistently, which also prevents the drink from tasting too bitter. This is a more common choice compared to steam-driven and also asserted to be the better choice.
One of its best benefits is that it can produce higher-quality output. The lower temperature for brewing is also exceptional to prevent scalding. Lastly, the lag time between brewing and steaming will be shorter. However, its drawbacks include being more expensive and quite complicated to operate, especially for first-timers.
Choosing the Best Espresso Machine
Here are some of the most important factors that you should consider as you try to choose the best espresso machine under 100:
- Ease of Use
- Bar Pressure
This is especially important for beginners in using an espresso machine. The control panel should be intuitive. The manufacturer must provide comprehensive instructions on how to use the product. Also, cleaning and maintaining the machine should be a breeze to accomplish.
Even if you only have a hundred dollars as your budget, make sure that it has a durable housing that can withstand many years of use. Metal and shock-resistant plastic are two of the most common choices.
If you have a small kitchen, pick an espresso machine that can deliver space efficiency. Most of the products that are under 100 dollars are compact enough making them easy to store and will not consume too much space in the countertop.
Among the technical specifications, this is one of the most important. Technically, an espresso machine must be able to deliver 9 bars of pressure, making sure that the steam will be forced through the grounds. With this, even if the machine has more than 9 bars of pressure, it won’t matter at all.
This is one thing that is often ignored by many. If you want to be spared from the hassle of having to store the espresso machine in the cabinet after every use, choose one that is exceptional when it comes to aesthetics. It must perfectly complement the look of your kitchen.
This is important as it can provide you with peace of mind. Within the warranty coverage, you can return the product to the manufacturer and they can offer a free repair. In some cases, they can even provide you with a replacement. Just make sure that the terms and conditions will be met.
Cleaning And Maintenance For An Espresso Machine
There are some of you who might have hesitations in buying a hundred-dollar espresso machine, thinking that it is inferior compared to the more expensive models. However, with regular care and maintenance, they can last longer. With this, below are some of the most important things you should do:
- At the end of every use, it is important to regularly clean the espresso machine. Using a brush to scrub the grouphead is one of the basic cleaning tasks you should not forget to do.
- Back flushing should be done at least once in every few weeks. You can do so with the use of a detergent that is especially formulated for an espresso machine. Follow the instructions from the manufacturer to get rid of the oils that might have accumulated on the surface.
- From time to time, also check the different parts of the machine and replace those that are already not delivering superior functionality.
- Occasionally, you also need to descale the machine. This is especially the case if you do not have a water filter. The mineral deposits can cause buildup and can negatively affect the quality of your drink.
Here is a short video that shows easy steps on how you can clean your espresso maker:
Top Picks For The Best Espresso Machine Under 100
Still clueless about which one will make an excellent option? Below, you will see five of the best products that are currently available in the market.
Easy to use even for beginners
Self-priming feature for quick results
Frothing wand can be too short
Built-in tamper could be better
- The versatility of this model is one thing that you might love. It can be used beyond making an espresso. It is a great investment, especially considering its price. You can also use it for latte and cappuccino. Regardless of what you use it for, you can expect great results.
- The manual frother that is included can also be impressive. The latter will make steam and milk to come up with a rich and creamy froth that can be added on the top of your favorite drinks.
- Another feature that is exceptional in this product is the Rapid Cappuccino System, which can make it an ideal choice for people who lack patience. This allows the machine to retain the best temperature and hence, there is no need to wait in between brewing.
- Lastly, the convenient design of the water tank is also excellent. You can easily have it removed, refilled, and returned. The tank can hold as much as 35 ounces of water.
Does not require an electricity to operate
Can leave an aluminum residue
Brewing time is long
- If there is one thing that makes this different from many others, it would be its manner of operation. This is not an electric espresso machine. Rather, this is used on the stovetop. It has a simple design, yet some people might not like the fact that brewing espresso can take quite some time.
- It is made from food-grade aluminum alloy, which is lightweight and long-lasting. However, there are some instances wherein it can possibly create an aluminum residue in your drink.
- It also comes with a patented safety valve. This is one of the design elements that you might love, which can provide you with an assurance of its safe use.
- If you have hesitations in buying this product, one thing that can eliminate such is the fact that the manufacturer is offering a 2-year warranty.
Compact and space-efficient design
Water tank is easy to fill
Pre-heating time is fast
Water capacity is a bit limited
Exclusive for Nespresso pod system
- With this espresso machine, you will not be using coffee grounds. Rather, you will use Nespresso patented capsules, which can make it expensive in the long run. Insertion and ejection of your desired capsule will be effortless.
- When it comes to versatility, this can also prove to be an excellent choice. There are two programmable buttons in front of the unit, which will allow you to choose from espresso or lungo.
- Also, you might like the fact that this machine comes with an energy-saving mode. With this, if the machine is not used after nine minutes, it will turn off on its own. This will also help in the prevention of overheating.
- The drip tray is also an excellent design element. It catches drips, which will make the counter mess-free. Plus, it can be folded, which will allow the platform to accommodate cups with different sizes.
- Lastly, this espresso machine comes with a welcome set of 16 Nespresso capsules. You can enjoy different flavors with these capsules.
You can make espresso almost anywhere
Cleaning is easy
Can create rich espresso shot
Serving size is small
Some parts are made from flimsy plastic
- This is one option that you might want to consider if you want one that you can bring almost anywhere with you. Given its compact and lightweight design, you can easily make your favorite espresso shot regardless of where you are.
- This espresso machine is hand-held and hand-powered. Operating it manually can be a bit tricky for some people, but it is a good thing that there is no electricity required. You also do not have to use batteries.
- It also comes with a stainless steel sleeve, which acts as a filter. This will make sure that there will be no traces of coffee grounds in the espresso that will be made.
- One thing that should be pointed out, however, is the fact that it does not have the capacity to heat water. Therefore, before its use, you have to make sure that you already have hot water ready. Also, there is no built-in grinder.
Comes with safety automatic shut-off
Has a transparent body to easily monitor brewing
Designed with a detachable base
Plastic top can be easily prone to cracks
Can be prone to leaking
- This is made by one of the most trusted brands in the market, which can be enough reason to choose this above all others. It utilizes the Moka process, which is the way the Italians make their espresso.
- Among others, the automatic shutoff feature is one of the things that you might love about this product. The latter will not only prevent the espresso from being burnt, but can also avoid fire hazards and can prolong the functional life of the machine.
- In terms of its design, it is a good thing that it offers cordless operation. Plus, the top part can be detached from the base, allowing you to bring the pitcher to your table.
- Lastly, it comes with a boiler that is made from high-quality aluminum, which is known for its extended lifespan.
With the best espresso machine under 100, you do not have to spend a fortune to enjoy a high-quality product that can deliver optimal results. You can create barista-like espresso shots and other coffee-based drinks at the comfort of your own home or office.
From the five products mentioned above, if there is one that I can recommend, it would be De’Longhi EC155 15 Bar Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker. It is made by a trusted brand, which can already make you confident about its quality. It is effortless to use even for beginners and can guarantee optimal results all the time.