Best Espresso Machine Under 2000: A Luxurious Choice For Your Caffeine Fix
Whether for home, office, or business, an espresso machine will prove to be a great investment. It provides robust caffeine fix on demand. Buying the unit itself can be costly, but in the long run, this can result in significant savings compared to buying espresso shots from an overrated coffeeshop.
Given the abundance of the options that are available for the best espresso machine under 2000, which one should you choose? Read this post and you’ll find out what is the best. We’ll also share with you some of the most important considerations that can help you make a well-informed decision.
Types Of Espresso Machine
One of the first things that you should think about is the specific type of the espresso machine that will be suited for your needs. In this case, the following are the options that you will have:
Steam-Driven Espresso Machine
In this type, steam pressure is utilized to push water into the coffee grounds, and hence, resulting in a shot of espresso. The problem with this machine is that it does not reach the optimal pressure that is needed to extract maximum flavor from the coffee grounds.
Pump Espresso Machine
With this machine, the water will be pumped in the coffee at a temperature that is cooler compared to its steam-driven counterpart. It can be further categorized into two:
- Manual Lever Espresso
- Electric Pump Espresso
This is an excellent choice if you want to have complete control of how your espresso is made. It may require more effort on your end, but it can ensure you that the outcome will be exactly as desired.
Instead of using a lever, it has a pump that will push through water on your coffee grounds. Meanwhile, it can be further classified into the following:
- Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine: This is the most popular amongst users who are looking for a traditional model of a home espresso machine. Most of its features are automatic, except for the pump that will perform the extraction.
- Automatic Espresso Machine: With this type, most of the work will be done by the machine, making it effortless to use. However, this also means that you have minimal control over how the output will turn out to be.
- Super-Automatic Espresso Machine: They are perhaps the most expensive from the product category. It does all the work, including grinding, dosing, tamping, pumping, and brewing. The only thing that you have to do is place the beans in the hopper and fill the reservoir with water.
The short video below might be helpful in deciding which type is best for your needs:
What To Look For In An Espresso Machine
As you try to narrow down the possibilities and decide on what espresso machine to buy, below are some of the most important factors you must consider:
- Water Storage
- Water Filter
- Ease of Use
- Cleaning and Maintenance
You should consider the space that is available in the kitchen or in any other place where you will use it. Obviously, you should not choose one that is big if you only have a small available space.
More often than not, an espresso machine will be exposed. It is too big to be hidden in the cabinet and taken out when it will be used. With this, it will also be great to choose one that will be a stylish addition to any space.
See to it as well that your espresso machine can hold as much water as you will need, which means that there is no need for frequent refilling. Especially for commercial purposes, it will be better if the machine can be connected directly to the water source.
It is also good to choose an espresso machine that comes with a built-in filtration system for water. With the latter, the machine will take out the impurities in water and the result is an espresso with a cleaner taste.
In some espresso machines, you need a separate grinder. For the best value for money, especially if the price is at least $2,000, it will be great if there is a built-in -grinder, which features a bean to cup system. This will make the whole process of making espresso quicker and easier.
For a machine to be versatile, it must be useful beyond making an espresso shot. With this, you might want to consider one that comes with a wand or frother. With these, you can use the machine in making cappuccino, latte, and other espresso-based drinks.
More often than not, the more expensive the machine is, the more complicated it becomes. With this, pay attention to the control panel and features. Make sure that it will be user-friendly. The manufacturer must also provide comprehensive instructions on its use.
Most of the espresso machines within this price range will have a self-cleaning feature. They probably have a descaling button that will make it easy to get rid of the mineral deposits. See to it that the machine will not require too much of an effort for maintenance.
This is important if you want to have peace of mind. Within the warranty duration, you can return the machine to the manufacturer. In turn, they will have it repaired or replace the parts without any cost on your part.
Top Picks For The Best Espresso Machine Under 2000
If you have no idea on what to buy, below are five of the products you might want to consider.
Comes with a high-quality grinder
A bit tricky to operate
Drip tray has minimal capacity
- Among others, one of the most exceptional features of this espresso machine is the built-in conical grinder, making it provide a bean to cup system. It has a half-pound capacity, providing you with easy access to fresh espresso beans.
- In terms of versatility, this can also be an exceptional choice, although using it can be quite a struggle for most people. There are dials that will allow you to easily choose the grind size. There are also programmable functions that will allow you to customize different functions.
- The steam wand, which has a 360-degree swivel action, is another thing that is impressive. The latter can be used for texturing milk, which is another reason for its versatility. This will allow you to prepare different types of espresso-based drinks.
- One unique feature that you can find in this product is the Clean Me indicator light, which will provide you with immediate notification when it is time to perform cleaning. To do it easily, there is also a cleaning kit included.
Has an abundance of innovative features
You can completely control the outcome
Wand can end up being sticky
Can be too heavy
- If you are looking for an espresso machine that can be used for commercial purposes, this should be on the top of the list. It is made by a trusted brand and comes with advanced features that will make this perfect for business use.
- There are also several features that will make sure of the optimal extraction all the time. It will never be under-extracted or over-extracted. Some of these features include electronic PID control, over-pressure valve, and heat exchanger.
- To make things a lot easier, there is also a conical grinder. The latter will allow you to grind the beans and use them directly in the machine, making sure that they are fresh when it is time to make your espresso.
- Lastly, it is also a good thing that it comes with automatic milk frothing technology. With the latter, you can choose from automatically or manually using the frothing wand. This also means that the machine will be versatile as it can be used for preparing different drinks.
Has a stylish appearance
Warms up quickly
Functions are fully programmable
No adjustment for brewing pressure
Does not come with a grinder
- Commercial features in domestic size – this is basically what you can expect from this product. It comes with a space-efficient design, yet it is commendable that it has a wide array of features that will make it perfect even for business use.
- One thing that makes it deliver impressive performance is the three-way heating capability. The latter will minimize the waiting time before your drink is ready. To add, it also makes sure that consistent temperature will be maintained.
- It also has over-pressure valves, which can deliver up to 15 bars of pressure. This will make sure of the optimal extraction process, and hence, prevent the possibility that the espresso shot will be too bitter.
- Lastly, it comes with adjustable temperature, making sure that the brew can be customized depending on your personal preferences. This will give you more control of the machine, and more importantly, of the outcomes.
Comes with a powerful steam wand
The boiler heats water quickly
You have complete control of the output
Can be prone to overheating
Learning curve can be quite steep
- For people who like being in charge, this can prove to be another excellent option. It is made with several manual controls, which will allow you to customize the functions based on the output that is anticipated.
- Among other things, it is well-loved by many because of its all-steel construction. With this, you can expect that it will be heavy-duty and will remain functional even after long-term and frequent use.
- There are also many who were impressed with the internal thermostat. The latter will make sure that the right temperature is retained, which will have a positive impact in extraction and will ensure achieving optimal flavor and aroma in every shot.
- However, it should be pointed out that this is a manual espresso machine. More effort will be required on your end. The good thing, meanwhile, is the fact that you will have complete control of the quality of the output. It might be quite tricky to use at first, but when you get used to it, everything will be a lot easier.
Stylish brass construction
Heats up quickly
Provides complete control
Takes quite an effort to use
Can easily get hot
- The aesthetics of this machine is one of the first things that will catch your attention. It is made from brass, which gives it a distinct appeal. However, since the main material is metal, you have to observe caution in its use as the exterior can easily get hot.
- To use this machine, you have to operate the lever manually. Yes, it takes quite an effort, but this will surely be worth it given the quality of the shot that will be pulled. The lever also comes with a rosewood handle, which can be easily replaced when it wears out.
- You might also love the internal thermostat, which keeps the temperature in check. This will regulate the heat and will optimize the process of extraction.
- The steam piston operation of this espresso machine may make it less attractive compared to the pump machines. However, given all other features, this is still a product that stands out from most of its competitors.
In sum, choosing the best espresso machine under 2000 can be an overwhelming task, but this should not be an excuse for you to decide in haste. Given its expensive price, you should exert effort to differentiate the possibilities, and in the end, make a decision you won’t regret.
From the five products mentioned above, if there is one that I can personally recommend, it would be Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine. It may not be the easiest to use, but this is excellent in terms of versatility, functionality, and durability.