Best Home Espresso Machine Under 500: Which Should You Buy?
Buying an espresso machine for your home is never an easy task. To begin with, the options will be endless. If you do online and research, you will most likely be overwhelmed with the long list of recommendations. To make things easier, read this guide and we’ll help you in choosing the best home espresso machine under 500.
With an espresso machine at the comfort of your own home, you will enjoy huge saving. This is because you will no longer have to buy from overrated coffee shops, like Starbucks. You can prepare your own caffeine fix at the fraction of a cost and right at your own place.
What Is Espresso And How Does An Espresso Machine Work
Espresso does not refer to a specific type of coffee bean or the way the beans are roasted. Rather, it is a method of brewing coffee. It can be consumed as a straight shot, although most people prefer to have it combined with milk or froth to make its taste less bitter and to lessen its caffeine content.
When making espresso, hot water will be pushed to the coffee grounds. The latter should be tightly-packed, which is why a tamper is used to make sure that there will be no air. 9 bar of pressure will be forced, and after this, from the machine, a thick liquid will come out. The color is usually dark brown and crema or foam may be present on its top.
In the case of most espresso machines, they are versatile enough to make more drinks. Some are also equipped with a wand, which you can use for steaming and frothing. This will make it easy for you to prepare other types of drinks beyond an espresso shot, such as lattes and cappuccinos.
Below is a short video that will show you how to use a standard espresso machine:
Benefits Of Having An Espresso Machine At Home
Still thinking twice about buying an espresso machine? The benefits that are mentioned below can help you to be convinced easily that you indeed need one:
- Save a Lot of Money: If you or any member of the household frequently go to the coffee shop for an espresso or any espresso-based drink, you can save money by preparing one at home instead.
- It is Convenient: When you feel like having a shot of espresso first thing in the morning or at the middle of the day, you do not have to drive far. If you have an espresso machine, you can make your own drink right there and then.
- Versatile Machine: Another good thing about an espresso machine is that it is multipurpose. While it is used primarily for pulling a shot, the latter can be used in several coffee-based drinks.
How To Choose An Espresso Machine For Home
As you try to narrow down the options for the best home espresso machine under 500, the following are some of the most important factors to consider:
- Ease of Use
- Functions and Features
- Water Reservoir
Another important thing to do is to think about the life of ownership, which will be indicative of how long-lasting the machine can prove to be. Choose one that will withstand long-term and frequent use. Even through the years, it must remain in its peak condition.
One of the biggest differences between a home and commercial espresso machine is the straightforward operation. With this, choose a product that offers a user-friendly interface, which means that even for beginners, using the machine should be fairly effortless. The manufacturer must also provide comprehensive instructions in its manual.
For a $500 espresso machine, the features are much simpler, which can be a good thing when it comes to ease of use. For instance, some have built in grinders while others have wands. The more features there are, the more expensive the espresso machine can be.
Espresso machines are not meant to be kept inside the cabinet when they are not used. They are often just left on the countertop. With this, it will also be good to choose one that comes with an appealing design so that it can complement the décor of the kitchen.
It is also important to pay attention to the size of the tank. If it is larger, this would mean that there is no need for frequent refilling, but this would also mean that the espresso machine can be bigger.
If you find it hard to weigh the pros and cons of the possibilities, the best thing that you can do is to learn from the experiences and insights of other people. Their opinions will be helpful in narrowing down your choices and in figuring out how one product can be better than all others.
You should also look for one that is easy to clean. Some products have self-cleaning feature. This is a good choice because this will make it easier for you to get rid of mineral deposits and to be assured of having clean-tasting espresso all the time.
It is common for espresso machines to experience defect or problem at one point. If there is an extensive warranty coverage, you can save a lot of money. Within the duration of the warranty, you can return the machine to the manufacturer and they will shoulder its repair, including the replacement of its parts.
Top Picks For The Best Home Espresso Machine Under 500
In this section, you will learn more about some of the best brands and models that are available, including their exceptional features.
Has a user-friendly interface
Plenty of options when it comes to drinks you can prepare
Capsules are expensive
Taste of coffee could have been better
- This espresso machine uses Nespresso Vertuo capsules. Some of you might not like the fact that the capsules can be quite expensive, but the good thing is that they are available in a wide array of flavors to suit individual preferences.
- Among other things, the one-touch brewing technology is one of the most impressive about this product. Pre-heating will only take about 15 seconds. Just touch the button and allow the unit to do the work on its own. It won’t take long before your espresso is ready for instant enjoyment.
- The versatility of this product is also worth nothing. Aside from making an espresso, you can also use it for a regular coffee. It is a good thing that you can easily choose the size of cup based on the amount of drink that will be made by the machine.
- Lastly, this is also an exceptional product because of the intelligent extraction system, which will take out guesswork from your end. This is because the machine has the ability to recognize the capsule that is used and will automatically adjust the brewing parameters as necessary. There is no need for you to make manual adjustments.
Advanced touchscreen interface
Comes with an elegant finish
Requires regular cleaning
Limited to the use of compatible pods
- The elegant appeal of this espresso maker is one of the first things that you will notice, making it an excellent addition to the kitchen, especially if you are trying to pull off an industrial look. The sophisticated finish of the machine makes it one of the most beautiful in the market.
- The LED touchscreen, which is also programmable, is another excellent feature of this product. There are six buttons that will allow you to easily select the drink that you would like to prepare using the machine. Aside from espresso, there are also options for hot milk, latte, cappuccino, lungo, and ristretto.
- Another design element that is commendable about this product is the pivoting cup support, which can be excellent when it comes to versatility. It can be adjusted based on the height of the glass. It also has a soft light, which adds a touch of elegance.
Can make drinks in a single touch
Can make milk foam
Refilling water can be tricky
Needs regular cleaning
- Speed and convenience are two of the reasons why you might want to consider using this product above other options. It offers one-touch control, which will simplify the operation of the machine. There are six tactile buttons for every drink that you would like to prepare. Press the desired button and it won’t take long before your beverage is ready.
- The 19-bar pressure pump is also a great feature, making it excellent for espresso. When making the latter, pressure is very important to make sure that no air will pass through. The pump of the machine makes sure that your espresso will deliver full flavor and body.
- Lastly, it also has an Automatic Cappuccino System, a technology that has been exclusively developed by the manufacturer. The latter will make it effortless for you to create a rich and dense foam that will perfectly complement espresso.
Maintains consistent temperature
Starts within a few seconds
Can be loud
No automatic shut-off
- Made by one of the most trusted brands within the product category, this is another top choice for the best home espresso machine under 500. The excellent choice of material is one of its best assets, making it look stylish.
- When it comes to its features, one that we loved is the electronic temperature control. The latter is good because of temperature stability, which will help improve the quality of output in every cup. Also, it comes with Auto Purge and Pre-infusion, which are both critical in optimizing the process of extraction for better flavor.
- The steam wand, which comes with a traditional design, is also an exceptional addition in this espresso machine. The latter makes this a versatile product as the wand can be used for steaming and frothing.
- Lastly, there is a built-in water filter, which will make your coffee taste cleaner as the impurities in water will be removed.
Comes with a milk frother
Drink is ready in an instant
Limited to the use of Nespresso capsules
Output can sometimes appear watery
- Even if you have a small kitchen, you will love this product because it comes with a compact design. Despite its size, however, it can deliver exceptional power and speed. It has one-touch operation, which will simplify the process of preparing your drink.
- The Centrifusion technology is one more thing that you might find impressive about this product. With the latter, it can brew espresso and coffee at the same time.
- It is also a good thing that it heats up quickly. In just 15 seconds, water will be hot and the machine can already start working to prepare your drink.
- Lastly, it also has automatic blend recognition. This uses the code in every capsule and automatically adjusts based on the brewing parameters that are necessary.
Now that you have reached the end of this post, I hope that you already learned a thing or two about the best home espresso machine under 500. Choosing one is never easy, especially because almost every manufacturer claims to be the best in the market.
If there is one product that I can recommend from the five mentioned, it would be Nespresso A+GCC1-US-BK-NE. It is user-friendly, durable, and versatile, allowing you to prepare more than just an espresso with bold flavor.