Best Milk Frother Reviews 2017-2018: A Creamy Topping for your Beverage
If you like drinking lattes and cappuccinos, for sure, apart from cappuccino maker and latte machine, there is one thing that makes a huge difference – the milk froth. The good news is that even at home, frothing does not need to be a complicated task. There is no need to be a trained barista to do this. You just need to have the right tool – a high-quality milk frother.
Clueless on which one will make the best option? Read our buying guide and the best milk frother reviews, which will provide you with insights on which ones can make the best choice within the product category.
What Are The Differences Between A Milk Frother And A Steaming Wand?
The main difference between the two lies on how they work and their outcome. In the case of a milk frother, it is a standalone equipment or an accessory in an expensive coffee machine. In the case of a steaming wand, on the other hand, it is a standalone equipment that has the main purpose of steaming and not frothing milk.
What Are The Differences Between Frothed And Steamed Milk?
Aside from the fact that the two are made using different equipment, the outcomes will also be different. Frothed milk is also known as foamed milk. In this case, the milk is heated to a certain temperature and shaken vigorously to incorporate air bubbles, which will alter its texture. This creates two layers – one layer of milk and another layer of thick foam.
On the other hand, in the case of steamed milk, pressurized steam is used, which, in turn, affects the flavor and texture of the milk. The texture is velvety, which is smoother. This is as against frothed milk wherein the bubbles are more evident, which you can feel when they touch your lips.
Benefits Of Using Milk Frothers
Do you really need to have a milk frother? A lot of you might think that it is an unnecessary investment because of the cost. To be convinced that you need one, here are some of the many benefits that it can deliver:
- Create Barista Quality Drinks: With a milk frother, you will be able to create drinks that are similar to what you can have in a high-end coffee shop. You do not even need to have formal barista training as such machine is easy to operate.
- Save Money: Fancy a cup of cappuccino or latte? It is convenient to head to the nearest coffee shop, but their drinks can be ridiculously expensive. With this, a milk frother will help you prepare your drink on your own at a fraction of a cost, allowing you to save a lot in the long run.
- Save Time: If you make coffee at home, you will also be able to save a lot of time. There is no need to head to a coffee shop, be stuck in traffic, and drive back. Most of the milk frothers would also require only a few seconds before the milk froth is ready.
- Create a Variety of Beverages: Another good reason to have a milk frother is that it will allow you to experiment with different drinks. The sky is the limit when it comes to the beverages that you can prepare, including different styles of lattes, cappuccino, and macchiato, among others.
- Easy to Use: Depending on the product that you will choose, most of the milk frothers in the market are user-friendly. Operating it will be almost straightforward, allowing anyone to prepare their milk froth in an instant. Even cleaning and maintenance is sure to be effortless.
Types Of Milk Frothers
As you try to narrow down the options that are available in the marketplace, one of the first things that warrant your attention will be the specific type of the milk frother to buy. In this case, here are the choices that you will be confronted with:
- Electric Milk Frothers
- Handheld Milk Frothers
- Hand-Pump Milk Frothers
- Steam Milk Frothers
This is the most popular from all the types. It looks like a small electric kettle. All that you have to do is plug it in, pour the milk, turn it on, and watch the unit does the magic trick. Soon enough, your milk froth is ready to be poured. They are also often versatile as they can also be used for heating milk and cold froth.
They are powered by batteries and known for being easy to use and clean. Usually, they are lightweight and compact, making it more convenient to handle. One problem with this is the constant need always to replace the batteries.
Belonging to the category of manual frothers, this is not a good choice for lazy people. You need to manually pump to be able to create the froth, which can also be time-consuming. If there is one great thing about this type, it would be that you will be under complete control.
This is not a standalone frothing equipment. Rather, it is usually a part of a high-end espresso machine. It is usually a thin bar made from stainless steel. There is a knob that you have to control to produce hot steam, which, in turn, will create the milk froth.
Choosing The Best Milk Frothers
Below are some of the essential considerations that will make it easy for you to determine how one product stands out from all others:
Ease of Use
See to it that the product has user-friendly features. The controls must be straightforward. For an electric frother, for instance, it will be good if it only has a single button that you have to push and wait until frothing is done.
The frother must have a capacity that matches your needs. Most of the products will be able to froth up to 250 ml of milk. If you use it for heating milk only, it will be good if the capacity is up to 500 ml.
This refers to the maximum and minimum fill line, which will let you instantly know if you are pouring too much or too little milk. This is a good way to prevent overflowing and mess.
If you will opt for an electric milk frother, this is an important feature. This will allow you to easily lift the pitcher off the base and pour the milk froth conveniently without worrying about the wire.
Look at the materials that are used for the frother, and this will be indicative of insulation. Vacuum insulation is a good feature because it will help in retaining the ideal temperature of the milk.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Pick one that is easy to clean, making it easy to prolong its functional life. There are some that are dishwasher-safe. There are also models that cannot be completely submerged in water because of the electrical components. Be sure to pay attention to keeping it clean for safety and longevity.
If you use the milk frother all the time, you should not be compelled to hide it in the kitchen cabinet. With this, pick one that comes with a stylish exterior, making it an excellent addition to the kitchen or any room where it will be placed.
If the milk frother is within the warranty coverage, you can return it to the manufacturer if there are defects. In turn, they will replace the broken parts and repair it for free. Be sure to read the terms and conditions from the manufacturer to be eligible for such privilege.
Tips In Creating Milk Froth
It is not enough that you own a high-quality milk frother. At the end of the day, the quality of the outcome will still depend on your actions. With this, here are some of the things that you can do to make the best milk froth:
- Be mindful about the right temperature of the milk. The ideal temperature is anywhere from 135 to 155 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is below this temperature, the milk will not end up frothy and creamy. On the other hand, if it is beyond such, the milk will taste toasty or burnt.
- The right choice of milk will be highly instrumental on the quality of the outcome. While any kind of milk can be used, they behave in different ways. If you want the flavor to be sweeter, use milk with higher fat. For a creamy and nice froth, whole milk is better than soy milk. Skim milk, similar to whole milk, will also be bubbly.
- You also need to pay attention to the right timing of pouring the milk. If you do it too late, you will end up ruining the foam. If you plan to make latte art, pour it within 10 seconds so that it will still be thick. For a simple foam, on the other hand, pour it within 20 to 25 seconds.
- If you want the foam to be evident in the drink, keep it simple. Avoid pouring syrups and chocolate chunks, among other common ingredients. They will flatten the froth and will remove the bubbles on the top.
- Latte art may make your drink look nice, but do not take it too seriously, especially if you are a beginner. This could waste a lot of your time, and your drink may end up getting cold. After all, it just improves visual appeal and will not have any effect on the taste of the drink.
Watch the short video below and learn more about the basics of milk frothing:
Top Picks For The Best Milk Frother
Initially, you might think that all milk frothers are the same. If you look closely, you will realize that they have several differences. To make your search easier, here are five of the products that you might want to include in your list.
Made by one of the most trusted brands
Can maintain consistent temperature
Cannot be used for frothing heavy cream
- Although it might be quite more expensive compared to the more basic models, the price should not be an issue. After all, the manufacturer has gained recognition as one of the most reputable in the market, which should already be a good reason to choose this product.
- This is a space-efficient appliance that will be a good addition to the kitchen. At its size, the maximum capacity for milk froth is 120 ml. On the other hand, for hot milk, it can accommodate up to 240 ml.
- To make it easy to monitor the functioning of the machine, there is a LED light that is strategically-positioned, making it easy to see. When the light is green, this means that the frother is working.
- When it comes to maximum temperature, meanwhile, it can reach up to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. This is good enough to create a hot froth that will perfectly complement your drink.
Versatile frothing functions
Comes with vacuum insulation
Can be prone to overflowing
Milk does not become too hot
- Simplicity – this is one of the reasons why we are including this model as one of our top picks within the product category. From operating to cleaning the unit, not a lot of effort will be required on your end.
- The versatility of this product is another thing that you will love. At such an affordable price, it can be multifunctional. You can use it for both hot or cold froth. If you just want to make hot milk, this will also be perfect.
- The design of the carafe is also excellent. It is made from solid stainless steel and has excellent insulation. This provides it with the ability to maintain the optimal temperature of the milk. Also, it can be easily detached from the base, allowing you to pour milk effortlessly.
- To add, the carafe has the perfect size for home or personal use. It will be able to heat one cup of milk at a given time. For frothing applications, on the other hand, it has half cup capacity.
- Lastly, you might also love the two-year warranty that is offered by the manufacturer. This covers repair and replacement of the defective parts, provided that the defect is not an outcome of your negligence.
Ergonomic handle design
Easy to clean and use
Makes froth quickly
Coating can easily peel
Not for frothing almond milk
- One of the well-received options in the market, this milk frother has 250 ml capacity if you use it for hot milk and 130 ml if you will use it for milk froth. It can be used for both hot and cold milk froths.
- Speed is one of the things that provide it with distinct advantage above the competition. Once it is turned on, your hot milk will be ready for approximately 70 seconds. Waiting time is significantly shorter compared to most of its competitors.
- One simple feature that we love about this model is the line for the maximum and minimum level. It makes it easy to determine how much milk should be filled inside, which will also minimize the possibility of overflowing and creating a mess.
- Design-wise, the handle is also impressive. It is designed in such a way that there is a generous amount of space in the opening, making it easy to carry even for people who have a large hand. This also makes it more comfortable to pour milk.
Base can be detached
Easy to clean
Cannot be submerged in water
Can lead to scalding
- This milk frother is reasonably-priced, making it a great pick for budget-conscious buyers who are unwilling to settle for inferior products. This frother has a capacity of 500 ml for hot milk and 250 ml for hot milk froth.
- In terms of its construction, we loved how the exterior is made from premium stainless steel. This provides it with an elegant appeal, which means that it will never be an eyesore in the kitchen. Also, such material provides excellent vacuum insulation for retaining the best temperature of the milk, regardless if you are preparing it hot or cold.
- One bonus inclusion in this product is the angled cleaning brush. Its soft bristles are designed in such a way that they will be gentle on the surface to prevent scratches, yet strong enough to make sure that dirt and dust can be thoroughly removed.
- Lastly, it also helps that there are indicator lines, which will easily let you know the minimum and maximum amount of milk that is required.
Brand is not popular
- Among others, one of the most notable innovations in this product is the induction heating technology. The latter is perhaps the reason why heating time is quick, making it the perfect choice for people who tend to be impatient.
- It comes with a cordless design and a detachable base. Once it is done frothing, you can easily take off the carafe from the base and pouring will be a lot easier since you do not have to deal with tangling cords.
- You will also be able to enjoy versatility in this frother as it comes with three distinct settings – hot milk, hot froth, and cold froth.
- Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a two-year warranty for the product, which can be an assurance of your satisfaction. The manufacturer stands by the quality of their product and is willing to offer any form of assistance if a problem is experienced.
The extra-large capacity of this frother is also a plus. For heating milk, it has a capacity of 425 ml. On the other hand, for frothing, it can hold up to 250 ml of milk.
From the best milk frother reviews above, it should be clear by now that making microfoam for your lattes and cappuccinos does not need to be a tricky work. All that you need is the right milk, little knowledge, and the best tool for the job. Aside from frothing milk, you can also use these products for hot and cold milk preparation.
If there is a product that we believe truly stands out from all others, it would be Epica Automatic Electric Milk Frother and Heater Carafe. It has a straightforward design that makes it user-friendly. It also has premium construction and exceptional vacuum insulation. Even if you are not a pro, this will make it effortless to froth milk!