Best Pellet Grill For Your Everyday Cooking Needs!
Have you heard of a pellet grill? Even if you haven’t, after reading this article, I’m sure you may want to get yourself one. If you enjoy cooking and smoking meats, looking for the best pellet grill may be on the top of your list.
When you use a pellet grill you usually do so outside, whether you are having a barbecue, or you want to smoke some ribs, or even bake some potatoes, this type of grill is a perfect choice. This is exactly why I found myself looking for something easy to work with, but good enough for the many uses I planned on giving it.
Keep in mind, grilling, smoking, and baking are all useful when you have the appropriate equipment, such as the best carving knives for your meat. Though I know buying a pellet grill may sound like a splurge, it is something you’ll never regret.Let’s find out what the best pellet grill reviews say, and why you should definitely have one!
What Is A Pellet Grill Anyway?
A pellet grill is a cooker that combines charcoal smokers, gas grills, and kitchen ovens. Wood pellets fuel a pellet grill and they infuse food with a smoky flavor that you can usually only get with a smoker or charcoal grill.
This type of grill is capable of smoking, grilling, and baking using an electronic panel that feeds the fuel and keeps the right temperature for the style of cooking.
How To Use A Pellet Grill
Using a pellet grill is not as hard as it seems. To fuel it, you simply put in cylindrical food-grade wood pellets, which are made of compressed hardwood sawdust. This sawdust is very reactive to high pressure and heat, and they burn cleanly leaving very little ash behind.
You will need to have an electrical source to use a pellet grill. The best pellet smoker out there uses a digital controller to deliver the pellets from the hopper to the cylindrical fire pot that has an igniter rod. This rod becomes very hot for several minutes and starts the pellets, which are then diffused by a running fan.
Cooking in a pellet grill may take some time to get used to, but once you know how to do the veggies and meats you love, you’ll never go back.
Why Choose A Pellet Grill?
Before you read some wood pellet grill reviews and decide to pick one for yourself, you should know some of the advantages of using a pellet grill:
These grills may the most versatile out there. You can grill, smoke, barbecue, and bake all on the same grill.
It usually takes between 10-15 minutes to preheat a pellet grill.
Though not all, some pellet smokers allow you to change the temperature in 5-degree increments, making it easier to cook anything.
Since it works like a convection oven, you can load the cooking chamber and not worry about uneven cooking.
A pellet smoker doesn’t oversmoke anything unlike those using direct wood or charcoal.
Now you can find all sorts of different flavored pellets, like hickory, pecan, apple, maple, mesquite, and bourbon.
Wait, Consider These Before You Buy Your Pellet Grill
These are some of the factors that should go into choosing the best wood pellet grill and can help you solve your doubts. Here are the most important things you can consider:
Take a close look at what you’re getting between a “cheap” option versus a more expensive one. Though the price is important, sometimes affordable means less durability and fewer features.
Consider what your pellet grill is made of and how it was built. It is key for you to feel the weight of the lid, the parts inside, and whether it is made of real steel.
If you want your pellet grill so you can cook all styles of food, then temperature range is definitely one of your top priorities. Though every pellet can hit the adequate temperature for baking, grilling, and smoking, styles like searing, need a higher temperature.
Even though this is extra for most, some pellet smokers do have the ability to connect their monitors to your WiFi, making them accessible remotely. Essentially, you can cook and control the temperature from your tablet or smartphone.
Choosing The Best Pellet Grill For You
There are several options out there, but some may just not be right for you. Either way, I’m giving you the top choices here so you can buy a good pellet grill for your personal needs.
Smart Grill Technology for precise temperature
5 degree increments for temperature range
40 lb hopper
6-year limited warranty
Harder to clean
Not as strong smoky flavor
- This REC TEC wood pellet grill offers you one the Smart Grill Technology system, which maintains precise temperature from 180ºF to 500ºF with five-degree increments.
- This technology allows you to control the temperature range you want depending on what your desired cooking style is.
- The REC TEC also has a 40-pound hopper capacity for even more capability while cooking. The grill itself is made of durable texture powder coat that is resistant to high temperature, and the handles are made of micro polished stainless steel.
- Also, the pellet smoker has a 702 square in. cooking space.
- In case you want to play safer, this wood pellet grill comes with a limited 6-year warranty. This grill is easy to assemble and clean but may take some work for you to put together at first.
- Once you have it going, this REC TEC heats up very quickly and maintains the temperature well despite the wind or climate changes.
- Because this grill is made for so many styles of cooking, it is important to keep it clean, which may take a while and prove to be too much work sometimes. You may want to consider that this grill is meant to do various things, so the smoky flavor you get when smoking meats may not be as intense.
Easy to clean
Add-ons sold separately
Smaller cooking area
- The Camp Chef PG24 comes with a LED digital temperature control system with a stainless steel food probe. This pellet grill also features high and low smoking temperatures so you can cook any meat.
- This grill has 560 cubic in of cooking area, and you can remove the upper rack as well.
- To make things easier, this Camp Chef grill has a patented drop down cleaning system that doesn’t require you to take apart the grill. Though you also have to assemble this smoker, it is easier and comes with a video explanation.
- If you want to take things a step further, there are additional accessories that can make your cooking experience better. Some of these include sear box, a rack, a pizza stone, and side shelves.
- Even if you don’t get this added-on features, you can still have a good cooking experience with a grill that maintains temperature on its own.
- Since this pellet has a probe included, it can help you cook meats better. However, this same probe may not always be accurate and is delicate, which is a factor you should take into account.
Easy to assemble
No temperature range
Small cooking surface
Has to be cleaned very often
- The Traeger pellet grill BBQ155.01 has a bronze lid finish, 292 square in. cooking space and electronic auto-start. Plus when you get this grill you also get a state-of-the-art digital control.
- However, there is no real control on the temperature, and you have to deal with set temperatures.
- Keep in mind that the highest temperature setting on this Traeger is 450 degrees, which may not satisfy your needs when searing meats.
- With this pellet grill you will need to clean it often, as ash does get caught up, and it can mix in with your food, and the same goes with grease.
- When you buy Traeger, you also receive a recipe book with ideas for dishes, sauces, and how to cook your meats.
- If you plan on using this grill for a variety of cooking styles, and for lots of meats, you may want to consider getting a bigger, more durable pellet grill.
- Because there is no temperature control, you can’t always assure that the cooking temperature will be adequate, which means keeping an eye on your pellet grill constantly.
Easy to clean
Small cooking surface
Small temperature range
- The Big Easy Tru-Infrared grill allows you to smoke, roast, and grill on the same surface. The TRU-Infrared technology allows you to cook food evenly and keep it juicy without flare-ups. This pellet grill holds up to 25 pounds for roasting and has 180 square in. of cooking area.
- You can also use the smoker box for added flavor, which has a temperature control of 9,000 to 18,000 BTU’s.
- The true advantage of this grill is in the TRU-Infrared system that works by limiting the hot air flow and uses natural, radiant heat to cook the food without drying it.
- This is essentially the best way to preserve natural juices in meats.
- Smoking on this pellet may be hard, as the temperature doesn’t go below 250 degrees F; also the maximum temperature is 450 degrees F, making it hard to sear meats as well. However, this grill does heat up quickly, and as long as the lid is closed, it can maintain the temperature.
- If you want to use this grill for big barbecues and several meats at once, this Char-Broil smoker may not be the right one for you as it is small. Though if you only plan on grilling and cooking every once in awhile, this may suffice.
Fits most places
Small cooking surface
Small temperature range
- With 300 square in. cooking space, this Traeger Junior Elite Grill can easily hold up to 12 burgers, four chickens, 18 hot dogs, and three rib racks.
- It also comes with a LED multi-position thermostat control that goes up to 11 and automatically starts an Auto-Shut Down Cycle that reduces the amount of ash left behind.
- When you buy this pellet grill, you also get a 3-year warranty that covers any malfunctions or damage to grill parts.
- This grill is smaller than usual, but designed to fit in tight spaces and allow you to have an outdoor barbecue and cook even if you don’t have a large patio.
- The maximum temperature you have with this Traeger grill is 450 degrees F, a factor to consider if you’re planning on searing meats.
- Also, this grill controls the temperature but doesn’t really allow you a range in temperatures to work with.
- Since this is a smaller grill, you may want to make sure that you know exactly how it works and what it can and can’t do. Cleaning it often is necessary to keep it up and running smoothly.
Ready for Some Barbecue? Perhaps Some Ribs?
If you are ready to make some ribs and have delicious leftovers, then you are ready to have the best pellet grill. In my opinion, there isn’t a better choice than the REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill. This pellet grill is superior thanks to its Smart Grill Technology, and though pricey, it is reliable and allows you to control the way you want to cook your food.
When you choose this pellet smoker, you can adjust the temperature, you have a large cooking surface, and you have a warranty, in case anything goes wrong. If it’s too much for you, I recommend the Camp Chef PG24 Pellet Grill and Smoker BBQ with Digital Controls and Stainless Temp Probe.
Ready to smoke, bake, grill, and sear all in the same pellet grill? Let me know what you think!