What To Look For In The Best Springform Pan
Baking a cake may be an art, but the real challenge is getting the cake out on the serving plate without breaking it. The traditional cake pans require you to turn the pan over your serving plate and then wait for your cake to drop. This process is prone to many mistakes and usually, the cake comes out missing a side or two. Springform pans remedy this problem by letting you remove the sides of the pan so you can easily lift the cake out. You can even serve the cake in the pan itself.
Springform pans really are a dream come true for every baker, but what makes for a good springform pan? With the sheer variety of these pans in the market, it is difficult to choose one that suits all your needs. Read on to see our guide to choosing the best springform pan.
Traditional Vs. Springform Pan
Springform pans are ideal for baking because they offer what the kind of traditional baking pans don’t. They are not just perfect for serving and keeping your cakes intact but are also great for serving other dishes that need to retain their shape. Following are some of the reasons why springform pans trump the traditional baking pans:
- Springform pans allow you to explore a lot more cake shape options, as you don’t have to worry about ruining the shape of your cake
- You can even make no-bake dishes in springform pans like cheesecakes and cold cakes
- You can also assemble dishes that have gelatin in them like custards, jellies, and more
- Springform pans are easier to clean because they disassemble and you can reach all the areas of the pan to clean
- You can use springform pans to serve your cakes as well, as the sides can be removed
Springform pans are possibly the most convenient to use for baking novices and people who like to experiment with baking cakes in different shapes and sizes.
How To Use A Springform Pan
A springform pan is really easy to use. The pan consists of two parts; a plain base and a removable rind that usually has a clip on it. Since these pans are available in a number of shapes and sizes, the exact dimensions of the base and rind may differ. Before you transfer your batter to the pan, you have to clip the rind in place and make sure it is tight so that there are no leakages. All you have to do next, is bake, cool, or assemble your dish and you’re done. When you want to serve, you can easily unclip the rind and remove it.
Here is a demonstration of this method. Just make sure that the rind and base have been greased properly so that the rind comes off easily.
Types Of Springform Pans
Like we mentioned before, springform pans come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and types. But each type of pan has its own set of pros and cons. You can use different metrics to categorize these pans, but for the purpose of this guide, we have divided springform pans on the basis of the materials used to make them. Here are the three basic types of springform pans you will find in the market:
- Metal Pans
- Silicone Pans
- Glass-bottom Pans
Metal pans are the most common springform pans found in the market. These vary in size and structure as well, but basically, you will find either non-stick metal pans or pans that aren’t non-stick. While non-stick pans seem to be the obvious choice when buying metal springform pans, you should consider these points; a) you have to be careful not to use any sharp utensils when using non-stick pans, b) these pans cannot be scrubbed clean or put in the dishwasher as the base gets damaged, c) some non-stick chemicals might transfer to your food overtime.
Another thing to consider when buying metal pans is the color of the pan. Darker pans have a tendency to attract a lot more heat. This means that the sides of these pans get really hot and may cook the outside of your dish more than the inside. Lighter pans are usually preferred to ensure a more consistent bake.
Silicone pans are a relatively new trend in baking. These pans are very convenient to use because they require very little greasing and it is easy to take your baked dish out. Silicone springform pans make it super easy to bake your favorite dishes. However, there are some cons to using these pans; a) these aren’t the easiest to clean as the surface is prone to becoming grimy overtime, b) it is difficult to lay down a base in these pans since they don’t really hold a stiff form.
The newest springform pans come with a glass bottom. This is a very attractive feature, considering you can use the same springform pan to bake and serve your dish. These pans are also great because you can check the progress of your baking from the glass bottom and the glass isn’t prone to warping. A drawback is that you have to use these pans carefully as the glass is more susceptible to breakage.
Top 5 Springform Pans
To help you make an educated decision, we have selected the top 5 springform pans available in the market. We have taken quality, durability, performance, and price into consideration while narrowing down this list.
Nordic Ware is a famous brand when it comes to baking utensils. The brand has a number of baking pans that range from non-stick to traditional. They also have a wide variety of springform pans, including ones that come with a separate base for Bundt cake. The reason we chose this pan is because it is a basic springform pan that should be present in every pantry.
This springform pan comes in 7-inch and 9-inch sizes. It is a non-stick pan and is the perfect springform to set gelatin based desserts and make cheesecake. It has a capacity of around 10 cups.
- This is the quintessential springform pan that is easy to use
- It is an affordable product with a commendable non-stick feature
- It is available in different colors and can be used to bake large cakes
- This pan is flimsier than some other similar products, the base is prone to warping
- This pan has to be hand-washed. We tried to put it in the dishwasher but that just tarnishes its non-stick base
- It isn’t consistently leak proof. While it holds cake batter perfectly, lighter batters tend to leak out
Mcirco might not be a well-known brand, but it is one that produces quality products. Their springform pan doesn’t disappoint and is one of the better non-stick pans out there. The best thing about this pan is that it is the perfect size to be used in an instant pot pressure cooker.
It boasts a BPA free, non-stick coated, non-toxic, heavy-duty gauge steel made body that is supposed to last for years. It is available in one size i=e 7 inches and is great for baking small and medium sized cakes. It also has an easy to slide clip that hold the rind and base in place.
- This pan is the ideal size to be used in an instant pot
- It is easy to use and its clip clasps instantly
- This is one of the heavier pans and is good for taking a lot more heat and pressure
- It is an affordable purchase
- Though it boasts to be incredibly durable, we noticed signs of erosion pretty soon
- When using in an instant pot, it has to be covered in foil to make sure the coating doesn’t wear off. This is a put-off, as the coating may contaminate your food
- This isn’t dishwasher safe and the base is prone to scratching which means you have to clean this with a soft washcloth
Wilton is the king of the baking market. Everyone’s heard of the brand and knows that it produces the highest quality products. Wilton offers a wide range of springform pans that are available in different sizes. This particular set includes three pans of 8, 9, and 10 inches.
What sets these pans apart from the rest is that they have reinforced non-stick surfaces which make them ideal for making delicate desserts and cakes with lighter fillings. These pans are also great for setting cold desserts.
- These pans have the best non-stick features. You barely have to use any kind of greasing medium
- These are possibly the only non-stick pans in the market that are dishwasher safe
- Even if you don’t want to buy the whole set, you can find these pans in almost every size
- All these pans come with warranty
- These pans don’t have the best clasps and are prone to leakage. The leakage is probably due to the fact that the ring doesn’t sit properly on the base
- The base has protruding sides which were probably made to make sure the rind fits in well but they make the pan more prone to leaking
- The base is prone to warping
Norpro is no stranger to making innovative baking utensils and this silicon springform pan is one of them. This pan doesn’t just have a removable silicone rind but also comes with a glass base. This means the pan offers two advantages in a single package.
This pan is available in one size i-e 9 inches and it can withstand heat up to 450F/230C. The silicon rind is perfect for making delicate desserts and dishes that require stacking. This pan is also great for using as a serving dish.
- The silicon is truly non-stick as you have to use no greasing at all. It is easy to remove the rind
- The glass base is sturdy which means you can use it to set crusts and other food bases that need to be set
- This is very easy to clean as the glass base and the rind disconnect from each other. Also, this pan is dishwasher safe
- This is a fairly affordable purchase
- The silicon rind isn’t completely leak proof. You should expect a little leakage in every use
- Handling this pan is no joke. You can’t hold it from the sides as the silicon rind will slip
- The silicon is prone to expanding with heat, which means there might be some de-shaping issues
Farberware products perform consistently well in the kitchen as they are both sturdy and good quality. This springform pan is no different. It has a very sturdy construction with double non-stick surfaces that ensure there is no overbaking. It is available as a 9-inch pan but it is 3-inch deep which makes it perfect for baking larger cakes as well.
This pan is great because it gives a consistent performance. You can always bank on it to give you a mess-free baking experience. It can withstand temperatures up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The best thing about this pan is that it is available in both dark and light shades. This means you can choose the color that will give you the kind of bake you desire. We prefer the light color
- This isn’t dishwasher safe but is fairly easy to clean. Because it is sturdy, you don’t have to be too careful while washing this pan
- The pan’s outer covering is non-stick as well. This means the pan doesn’t get stains easily
- Each pan comes with a quality assurance warranty
- The pan is only available in one size
- You might experience occasional leakage around the clasp area of the rind
Our Top Pick
Springform pans are a dream to work with, especially if you’re into baking delicate cakes and are a fan of cheesecakes. These pans make your life easier by taking all the hassle out of taking your cake out of the pan. We love using springform pans in general, but our favorite pan is Farberware Springform Pan. It is such a good quality pan, we rarely see any leakages and it has consistent performance. The fact that it comes in both dark and light colors means you can decide which one to use depending on the dish you want to bake. It is also super affordable and sturdy.
Did you like this list? Let us know if you would like to see more lists like these in the comments section below.