Exciting Dairy-Free Recipes to Tickle Your Tastebuds
If you have recently taken a food intolerance test and discovered that you are now restricted to eating only certain foods, you may be panicking and worrying that your food intake will become bland and boring.
When I first discovered my son’s milk allergy, I feared he would never get to experience the wonderful exotic, creamy flavours that I love! However, I soon learned that there is a world of delicious and delectable ingredients to replace dairy products and I often prefer his meals over mine.
It is fun to experiment with a variety of different ingredients and flavours and take onboard his expert opinion! Below are just a couple of the thousands of exciting, easy recipes we have created together that you could try!
Creamy Coconut Curry:
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 large minced clove of garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon of medium curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin of coconut milk
- 1 medium chopped red pepper
- 1 cup of small broccoli florets
- 2 chicken breasts chopped into bitesize chunks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, turmeric and cumin to a large frying pan and soften the onion on a medium heat for about 5 minutes until a fragrant smell fills your kitchen.
- Next, add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes or until the chicken pieces start to colour.
- Now add the pepper, broccoli, and salt.
- After 3 minutes stir in the tomatoes and the coconut milk.
- Raise the temperature so that your curry begins to simmer. Continue to cook for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Finally, reduce the temperature and stir in your fresh green spinach for no longer than 1 minute.
- Now serve with boiled or jasmine rice and let this beautiful fragrant meal tickle those taste buds!
Oreo and Peanut Butter Ice Cream - My son’s favourite!
- 400 ml tin of full-fat coconut milk
- 150 g smooth peanut butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp almond/ soya milk
- 10 crushed Oreo cookies
- Firstly, into a blender, add coconut milk, peanut butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract and continue to blend until smooth.
- Cover and place in the fridge until completely cold.
- Now whisk the ice cream and, if you own an ice cream maker, churn it in the ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once it becomes soft and whippy, mix in the crushed Oreos then transfer into a container. Pop in the freezer for about 2 hours to firm up prior to serving.
- The only problem with dairy ice cream is it can be very firm so I would advise sitting it out of the freezer for about 5 minutes before trying to serve it.
- Enjoy the absolute pleasure of this rich, crunchy, creamy coconut ice cream!