How to cook steak in the oven without searing?
Most recipes for cooking steak in the oven will instruct you to sear your steaks first before putting it in the oven, but what if you don’t want to or can’t? Cooking steak without searing may seem strange at first, but this is a really easy way to cook steak and do it well! By skipping the searing step, you save yourself time, but also get better results because by not searing you lock all that delicious beef flavor inside.
If you don’t have a grill or are looking for an easy way to cook steak in the oven without searing, try this recipe. The result is juicy and tender meat with crispy edges! You can make it as spicy as you like by adding more chipotle peppers.
Remember, the spiciness of pepper varies with the type and amount you use, so start with less and add more if needed.
Ingredients (for two portions):
– Two steaks (150-200g per person is good)
– 3 chipotle peppers (medium hot)
– Salt & Pepper to taste
- Place the steaks in a bowl or plastic bag.
- Add the chopped chipotles, salt & pepper to taste and stir gently until all pieces are well covered with spices. Let them sit for about half an hour at room temperature before cooking them.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F
- Put a pan on high heat until it starts smoking hot.
- Place the steaks on the hot pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the steaks over and transfer the pan into preheated oven.
- Cook them for another 3 minutes, then take them out of the oven to let them rest for 2 minutes before serving (cover with aluminum foil).
- Serve with mashed potatoes or French fries, salad and fresh bread.
– If you have a very hot oven, it might be smart to reduce the heat before putting the pan in.
– You can prepare steak this way for two or four people. In that case, just simply multiply all ingredients by the number of people and recalculate cooking times.
– Add more chipotle peppers if you want your steak spicier! 🙂 For extra kick, use a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce as well.
In addition, there are several other benefits of cooking steak without searing beforehand:
1) This method works on all steaks but yields the best results when cooking a steak without searing. It’s also easy to do no matter what cut of meat you choose.
2) Cooking steak in the oven requires less supervision and can be done whether you’re home or not. You don’t have to stand around your stovetop stirring a pan, so it doesn’t burn while your steak is in the oven getting dried out.
3) This method for how to cook steak works well with cheap cuts like hanger, skirt, flank, and chuck because they are full of flavor but can lack tenderness after cooking them exclusively on their own (due to the tough fibers). By cooking them first in the oven you soften up these muscles making it possible to get an extra tender bite.
4) Cooking steak in the oven lets you cook it evenly throughout. Steaks like flatiron, hanger and skirt are thicker on one end than on the other which can make them cook unevenly – sometimes burnt on the outside but underdone in the center or not cooked well enough towards the edges while being overcooked in a small spot in the middle. This is unavoidable when cooking a steak only with high heat from a pan or grill because you’re directly exposing half of your steak to excessive heat at any given time.
5) When you’re cooking steak without searing it first, less moisture will go out of your meat so no matter how much marbling you have there’s less risk for dryness.
FAQs on How to cook steak in the oven without searing.
Q: How do you pan-fry steak without butter?
A: First, preheat a large skillet on high heat. Salt and pepper both sides of the steak to taste. Place 1 teaspoon of oil in the hot skillet then place the steaks into the pan. Cook for about one minute then flip them over and cook an additional minute or two. Depending on how well-done you want your meat will determine if a couple extra minutes is needed. Remove from skillet and serve warm!
Q: What is the best way to cook steak using an iron skillet?
A: You can try this recipe to make Oven cooked Steak without searing: Preheat oven at 200°C/ 400°F. Put a pan on high heat until it starts smoking hot, place the steaks in the hot pan and cook for 1 minute. Turn the steaks over and transfer the pan into preheated oven. Cook them for another 3 minutes, then take them out of the oven to let them rest for 2 minutes before serving. Serve with mashed potatoes or French fries, salad, and fresh bread!
Q: How to cook steak in oven without searing?
A: There are different ways to cook steak in the oven without searing, you can use this recipe to make Oven cooked Steak without searing: Preheat oven at 200°C/ 400°F. Put a pan on high heat until it starts smoking hot, place the steaks on the hot pan and cook for 1 minute. Turn the steaks over and transfer the pan into preheated oven. Cook them for another 3 minutes, then take them out of the oven to let them rest for 2 minutes before serving. Serve with mashed potatoes or French fries, salad, and bread!
Now you know how to cook steak in the oven without searing and we hope you’ll continue experimenting with timings and temperatures. You can also add other types of spicy sauce or marinades for a more unique flavor.
If you have any questions or comments, please let us know. Happy cooking!