How To Keep Bagels Fresh: The Ultimate Secrets
A crisp crust with a chewy inside – this is what you can expect from an ideal bagel. The latter, however, is true only when it is fresh. In some cases, if you bake more than what is needed or if there are left-overs from those you bought from a store, bagels will turn stale and will no longer exhibit the characteristics that are indicative of freshness.
In the rest of this post, we will let you know how to keep bagels fresh. We’ll have a rundown of some of the best and easy methods that you can try at home. We will also share with you some tips to make sure that you will have the best-tasting bagels all the time.
What You Will Need To Follow This Tutorial
As you can see in the next section, there are different ways to maintain the freshness of bagel. Generally, however, the following are some of the materials that you will need:
Step-by-Step Guide On How To Keep Bagels Fresh
In this section, we will have a quick discussion of some of the best ways to keep your bagels fresh. You can choose whatever you find most convenient. Regardless of which method you pick, we can assure you one thing – your bagels will be delicious!
Leave At Room Temperature
It is perfectly alright to leave the bagel on the counter, but this is only the case if you are sure that you will consume it within the day. In this case, here are the steps on how you can do this:
- Store the bagel in a plastic bag with an airtight seal or a paper bag. Make sure to close the top part properly to avoid air from getting inside.
- Leave the wrapped bagel in the pantry at room temperature. See to it that it is away from direct sunlight or any other sources of heat.
If you do not plan to eat bagels soon, the best way to store it is in the freezer. Leaving it at room temperature can affect its crispness and can make it prone to external elements that could speed up spoilage. One thing that you can do is to use aluminum foil.
- If you baked your bagels, make sure that they have cooled down first.
- Once they are cool, wrap them in an aluminum foil. Close it properly in such a way that no amount of air or only a small amount can penetrate inside.
- Label it with the date it has been wrapped. This will allow you to monitor their freshness and until when you can eat it.
- Store it in the freezer. Because bagels are soft and fragile, it is best to keep them on the top. If they are placed at the bottom, they can easily deform when there is anything heavier on the top of it.
Thawing It Right
The freshness of bagel will not only depend on the way it is stored, but also on how it is served after storage. Here are the steps on the proper thawing of your bagel:
- One of the best ways to thaw bagel is to leave it sitting at room temperature for about half an hour before eating.
- On the other hand, if you are in a hurry, your microwave will be your best friend. Without removing the bagel from the paper bag, heat it for about ten seconds. Let it sit for at least 30 seconds and heat it again. Check the bagel if it is already hot. If not, simply repeat the process.
Toast Before Serving
Regardless if you stored your bagel in the counter or in the freezer, toasting is the best way to make sure that it is fresh when it is time to have it eaten. Here is the right way to toast it:
- Sprinkle the top of the bagel with water. This will help to make it moist. However, do not overdo it.
- Wrap it in an aluminum foil and toast.
- Enjoy your bagel while it is hot.
Aside from the steps that have been mentioned above, below are some tips that you should also keep in mind:
- Slicing the bagel is an art you should learn. A lot of people have been injured doing so. Hold it firmly and make sure to use the right knife. Slicing it before storage is a good idea so that you can take out only the portion that you will eat.
- To enjoy the bagel, pair them with the right spread. This will make it more flavorful. Some of the best are cream cheese, fruit jams, and chocolate spreads.
- For store-bought bagels, make sure to pay attention to their specific type. For instance, if it is a water-based bagel, you should never place them in the microwave as they will most probably turn soggy.
- Do not store bagels longer than what is recommended. At room temperature, consume it within 24 hours. In the freezer, you can keep it for up to six months. However, keep in mind that the longer you keep it, the higher is the likelihood that it will go stale.
Watch the video below and learn more tips on how to bring your bagel back into life:
In this post, we discussed how to keep bagels fresh. By following the steps and tips mentioned above, it will be possible to keep your bagels in their best condition even after some time. Doing it right is essential not only to retain its best taste and texture but to be also sure that it won’t be prone to contamination.
As noted above, you can either leave the bagel at room temperature or freeze it, depending on how long you plan to store them. Thawing is important, so as toasting.
Did you enjoy reading this guide? Is there anything else that you would like to add? Feel free to leave a comment below.