How To Make Ghanaian Meat Pie: Your Guide To Being An Expert
If you go online and search for how to make Ghanaian meat pie, you will be confronted with a long list of search results. Each recipe will claim to be the easiest. In this guide, I will try to make the steps as easy as possible to follow, making it a snap for you to turn into a pro in the kitchen.
Meat pies are popularly served as an afternoon snack in Ghana, although it can be eaten any time of the day. There are two important elements – the crust and the filling. With the combination of a crispy crust and a tasty filling, you will have a delicious pastry that is sure to be a treat for the appetite.
What You Will Need To Follow This Tutorial
The first thing that you should do is to prepare all the materials that will be needed. They will be different depending on the specific recipe that you will follow. Based on the steps I will outline in this guide, here are what you will need for the crust.
- Baking pan
- Rolling pin
For the filling, on the other hand, these are the ingredients that you should prepare:
- Bell pepper
- Corned beef
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Make A Ghanaian Meat Pie
This section is divided into three parts. First, I will let you know how to make the crust. In the second part, I will teach you how to make the filling. On the last part, meanwhile, you will learn how to stuff the crust with your filling.
How To Make The Crust
- In a deep mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients – ¼ teaspoon of salt and 1 ¼ cups of flour. Mix it clockwise using a clean and dry manual beater.
- Mix butter in the flour and salt. Make sure that the butter is cut into smaller portions. You can cut it into small squares with the use of a knife. See to it as well that the butter is at least at room temperature when it is added.
- As you mix the ingredients, it will soon appear flaky. To make it more consistent, add water. Do this by adding one tablespoon at a time until it becomes as consistent as preferred. Wait until there are soft lumps.
- Allow the ingredients to bind well with each other. At this point, you can now use your hand in mashing the dough.
- Use a rolling pin, flatten the dough. You should do it in a baking that is sprinkled with flour. Form a circle with at least 12-inch diameter.
- On the other hand, if you are not yet ready to proceed with making your Ghanaian meat pie, you can keep the dough in the fridge first.
How To Make The Filling
- Start by chopping onion and garlic.
- Once ready, heat a pan on a stove with medium heat. Choose a pan that is deep enough to accommodate all your ingredients. This should depend on how many pies you plan to make. Add the onion and garlic once the oil is hot. Wait until they become translucent.
- Now, put your corned beef in the pan. Mix and wait until it is cooked. This should take about 8 minutes. Add pepper for seasoning. Corned beef is naturally salty, so there is no need to add salt.
- You can also add chopped green pepper is you want a bolder flavor. You can generally add almost anything else that you want to the filling of the pie, including herbs and spices that will suit your preferred flavor.
- Once cooked, take it out from heat or from the pan. Transfer to a clean container and wait until you are ready to fill your dough.
How To Fill The Crust
- Roll the dough in your hand to make individual pieces. Using the measurements in the earlier steps, you can make six pies. Before rolling the dough, dust the baking pan lightly with flour so that it won’t stick on the surface.
- Roll it using a pan. Make circles that are approximately 8 inches in diameter, depending on the size of the pie that you prefer.
- Scoop out about ¾ cup of your filling and place it in the center of the dough.
- Fold the dough, making sure that the filling remains at the center.
- Press the edges of the dough until the filling is fully covered. Using a sharp knife or a fork, cut slits on the top. This will make sure that the filling will be cooked. Also, brush it with butter to make sure that it will be moist.
- Place it in a nonstick baking pan. Put it in the oven and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Take it out once it turns golden brown.
For more comprehensive instructions on how to make Ghanaian meat pie, below is a short video that can guide you. Again, take note of the fact that making it will vary from one recipe to another as no two recipes are exactly the same.
Aside from following the tips mentioned above, it will also help to keep these things in mind, which will increase the likelihood of coming up with the perfect Ghanaian pie:
- You should be gentle when preparing the dough. Do not exert too much pressure. Mash it gently. This will help to make the crust flaky instead of being chewy or tough.
- Do not let the dough sit at room temperature for a long time. You should put it in the fridge or freezer if you are not yet ready. This will help to preserve its freshness and texture.
- Do not be afraid to make variations in your recipe. No two Ghanaian meat pies are the same. You can add any ingredient that is preferred. You can add potatoes or raisins. Personal preferences should dictate what goes inside your filling.
- There are instances wherein the filling may seem too loose. In this case, you might want to consider adding flour. This will make it more consistent. It will allow the meat to bind well with each other.
- Eat your meat pie after it is baked to be sure that it is still crispy. If not, keep it in a tight container that is free from air penetration. Reheat before eating to improve the texture of the crust.
- When reheating the pie, poke the top with a toothpick. With holes, the inside will be heated consistently.
With the steps mentioned above on how to make Ghanaian meat pie, it is apparent that it is an easy process. With a little effort and time to spare, you can bake a delicious pastry that is sure to give your appetite a treat.
Have you tried making a Ghanaian meat pie before? Is there any secret that you would like to add? Do not hesitate to leave a comment below.