How To Store Meringues: Your Guide To Keeping It Crispy
The sweet flavor and crispy texture of meringue make it one of the favorite treats for many people. It is also easy to bake. With egg white and granulated sugar, as well as minimal effort to spare, you can come up with the perfect output. The challenge, however, is how you can keep it crispy and delicious even after some time.
If you are thinking of how to store meringues, I got you covered in the rest of this post. I will outline some of the best ways to do it, as well as the materials that will be needed. However, I would like to emphasize that it is never meant to be kept for a long time. Eat it as soon as possible to enjoy its best taste.
What You Will Need To Follow This Tutorial
There is no single best way to store meringues. There are different methods that can be done, as it will be discussed in the next part of this post. Generally speaking, however, the following are the materials that you will need:
- Container with air-tight seal
- Parchment paper
- Aluminum foil
- Greased pan
- Marker pen
- Freezer-safe bags
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Store Meringues
There are many ways by which you can store meringue. Among others, one of the best ways is to keep it at room temperature. However, this does not mean that you can just leave it anywhere in the kitchen. Here are some of the things that you can do.
Keep It In A Container
This is perhaps the easiest and most economical solution that is available.
- Once you are done baking meringue, allow it to cool.
- After it has cooled, you can now keep it in a container with an airtight seal. In this case, you can opt for a mason jar, glass jar, or plastic container, depending on which one is available.
- Place the cover of the jar. Make sure to close it tightly and that air won’t penetrate inside.
- It will also be good to label the jar with the date when it was packed. By doing this, you can easily monitor until when it is best to have it eaten. Once it has been kept too long, discard the meringue as it will no longer have a distinct crispy temperature.
Storing Meringues In The Freezer
If you want to keep the meringue for a longer time, freezing is a solution that will work. However, this is also the least recommended as there is a possibility that it will end up soggy. If in case you would still want to give it a shot, however, here is what you should do:
- Start by keeping the meringue in freezer-safe bags. The latter are specially designed to prevent freezer burn, and hence, making it more likely that the crispness and texture of meringue will be retained.
- Keep it in the freezer. Proper positioning is necessary. Keep it on the top and away from raw meat or any other item that can possibly emit a strong odor. This is important so as to not negatively impact the flavor or meringue.
- Before eating meringue, it should be defrosted. The best way to do this is to just leave it at room temperature. You have to wait for one to three hours before you eat it.
- If you prefer eating warm meringue, however, you can also reheat it in the microwave.
From the steps mentioned above on how to store meringues, I hope that you have been enlightened. The next time that you bake this sweet treat, make sure that it is stored properly so that it will not be ruined and it won’t go to waste.
Have you tried storing meringues before? How did you do it? Did you enjoy reading this post? Feel free to leave a comment below.