How To Use a Milk Frother: Do It Like a Professional Barista
If a French Press or coffee maker is available in your kitchen for many coffee-based beverages, such as cappuccinos and lattes, apart from buying the best coffee beans for French Press and coffee maker, milk froth – this is one of the essentials. Fortunately, frothing milk is one thing that you can do with relative ease. You do not even need to have formal barista training to do this. You just need to invest in the right milk frother, and you can prepare delicious drinks at the comfort of your own home.
Wondering about how to use a milk frother? We are here to satisfy your curiosity. In the rest of this post, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to use different types of a milk frother, guaranteeing the best outcome. As a bonus, we will also share with you some tips that will make it easier to fake it until you make it like a pro!
What You Will Need To Follow This Tutorial
To follow the steps that we will discuss later on, here are the materials that you have to prepare:
- Milk Frother
- Milk of choice
Step-by-Step Guide On How To Use A Milk Frother
There are different types of milk frothers that are available in the market. Depending on which one you choose, the steps on how to use them may vary.
Using A Manual Milk Frother
From the types of milk frothers that are available, this is perhaps the most complicated. Since you have to do everything manually, it will require more time and effort on your end. If there is one good thing, however, it would be that you will have complete control on the final outcome.
- Open the carafe and fill it with milk. Make sure to do not fill more than half of the carafe to avoid overflowing and creating a mess.
- Put back the lid and make sure that it is sealed properly.
- Use your one hand to hold the lid, which will make the carafe stable on the surface. Use your other hand to push the plunger. Do this repeatedly for up to 40 seconds.
- Stop when the foam is thick enough, which will also make it more difficult for you to push the plunger.
- Take out the lid and pour the froth into your drink.
Below is a short video that shows a quick guide on how to use a manual frother:
Using A Hand-held Electric Milk Frother
This type of milk frother is known for its compact design and for its affordable price. If you are low on budget and looking for an entry-level frother, this will make a great pick. Basically, it is a whisk or wand that is powered by a battery. Here’s how you can use it:
- Prepare your milk. Warm it through your desired method. Make sure that it is hot, but never boiling. If you want the foam to be thick and long-lasting, whole milk is the best. Nonetheless, this will require more time compared to using skim milk.
- Fill a pot or carafe with the amount of milk that you intend to froth. This will depend on the number of drinks that you will prepare. Fill the pitcher only up to half of its capacity to prevent overflowing when frothing.
- Put the wand in the glass or pitcher. Hold the wand sideways and firmly, making sure that the milk will not spill. Turn it on once it is already dipped in the milk. Otherwise, it will create splashes and mess.
- Within 15 to 30 seconds, your froth is ready. The next thing that you have to do is to pour it on the top of your beverage. Do not let the froth cool down.
Using An Automatic Milk Frother
If you want the task to be easier and quicker, an automatic milk frother is the best choice. It looks like an electric kettle. More often than not, there is a detachable base. This is more convenient, although it is more expensive compared to a handheld milk frother.
- Since this is an electric model, the first thing that you have to do is to plug the appliance. Fill the carafe with your choice of milk, but make sure that you do not overfill it. You can use fresh milk from the fridge, or you also have the option to heat it first in the microwave.
- Choose the desired setting. There are some models that you can use not only for a hot froth but also for a cold froth.
- Once it is turned on, you can do whatever you want while the frother does the job on its own.
- Once the unit is done frothing, some models will produce an audible sound to notify you that the milk froth is ready. Take off the lid and pour the milk into your drink.
Aside from the steps that have been mentioned above, here are other things that will help you produce the best milk froth for your drinks:
- If you want richer and fuller flavor, whole milk is the best, which will reduce the bitter taste of your coffee. Skim milk, on the other hand, comes with a lighter flavor.
- After you are done frothing, do not immediately pour the drink. It is best to swirl it first in a circular motion.
- At all times, do not combine fresh milk with steamed milk. This can be a reason for the milk to suffer from contamination.
- Use milk with the right temperature, which should be anywhere from 135 to 155 degrees Fahrenheit. Overheating can alter the components of the milk and affect its taste.
- Once you are done, be sure to clean the frother as soon as possible. The longer the dirt stays on the surface, the more difficult it will be to clean. Pay attention as well to proper storage.
By now, we hope that you already know how to use a milk frother. As noted above, the steps may differ depending on the type of the frother that you will be using. Be sure to follow the right steps to be assured of the quality of the outcome, making it easy to prepare drinks as if they have been made by a professional barista.
Did you enjoy reading this guide? Are there other tips that you would like to add? Feel free to leave a comment below.