Juicy Roast Chicken
Even before I learnt to cook well, I’ve been a marinade Queen, thanks to my mum. Even my brothers are experts in the art of the marinade. Chicken, turkey, beef, goat, pork, etc, all benefit immensely from this marinade. If my mum marinades chicken, or other meat, you just know you’re sucking the bones after eating the flesh.
Thanks to her, people come to my house at birthdays (mine and DH’s), Christmas, Easter, etc, and they ask for my chicken. As in, that’s how they ask ‘Deema, please I hope you made your chicken). I don’t disappoint. Now you can learn to make ‘my chicken’.
The difference between this and every other chicken you eat is the flavour and the feel. This is a far cry from the normal fried chicken you eat at Christmas, and at other events. It’s much healthier too, as there’s no deep frying involved. The resultant chicken is really moist and full of flavour, you’ll never make chicken any other way again.
In the course of roasting/baking, the chicken releases it’s natural oils and I always save that to use in other recipes. Just make sure you’re not on a diet when you make this. It’s purely irresistible!
- 10kg of chicken pieces (scale down as required)
- Paste of 30 cloves of garlic, 6 medium red onions, and 10 1 inch fingers of ginger
- 30 atarodo (habanero), blended with 8 cups of water (use as much or as little atarodo as you can handle)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 4 tablespoons of salt
- 8 stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (to help emulsify the marinade)
- Wash and drain the chicken. Put the pieces in a large bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix all the other ingredients very well.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken, use gloved hands to mix very well (give the chicken pieces a long massage. LOL)
- Refrigerate the chicken for at least 10 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350, and place the chicken pieces on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes (start checking at 1 hour).
- They freeze perfectly, so if you have guests, just pop a few, microwave/oven warm, serve with coleslaw and a drink. That’s all!