Oven Baked Gizzard Rice
I should really add a top 10 feature on the blog. This recipe would easily fit. In fact, I make bold to say if you only make ONE recipe from this blog, let it be this one. With that, I guarantee you’ll come back looking for more to make.
I got the concept of oven baking rice from Kitchen Butterfly. I loved the concept and the resulting party looking jollof rice and will try it exactly her way soon.
This time around, however, I didn’t have the time, strength, nor inclination to boil sauce or anything like that. It was evening, we had guests over and there was juicy gist that I just couldn’t miss. My solution? Mix everything and throw in the oven.
IT. WAS. AWESOME. I cannot believe I didn’t try this earlier. The taste was out of this world! And the rice was really fluffy. I made this 4 days ago, and, since then, I have made this 2 more times. Yes, it’s that good.
I’ve been playing around with different meats, and, apart from the gizzards, I love the one I made with smoked chicken. The possibilities are endless, and there’s literally no hands on cooking time. Just mix and bake.
Now, I need to ask, because I’ve been arguing with myself. Can I call this jollof rice? Fried rice? Isn’t jollof supposed to be red? Please rescue me from my self-inflicted quandry.
- 2 cups of rice (I used regular)
- 500g of gizzard (or any meat), chopped
- 1 very large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 very large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 5 atarodo/scotch bonnet, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon of white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cups of warm water
- Preheat the oven to 320
- Wash the rice very thoroughly till the rice water is clear.
- Mix EVERYTHING in a large baking dish.
- Cover with foil, and bake till done, about 35-45 minutes
I don’t think it could be any easier. If you make it, please let me know how you like it.
P.s: You know I love hearing from you, right?