Review of the Best Latte Machine of 2017
- Latte is truly an amazing coffee drink; you don’t just get the punch of espresso but also enjoy the frothy, creamy taste of milk. With so many flavors and variations now available on the market, latte is among the most sought after coffee concoction in the world. But while we love this drink, we also admit that making a good cup of latte isn’t easy.
- Making a good latte is both a science and an art. Thankfully, we don’t have to worry about mastering this technique anymore since the industry is now full of coffee machines that do all the work for you. But are the results as good as the latte you drink at a café? Read our review of the best latte machine of 2017 to find out.
- Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Types of Latte Machines
There aren’t any dedicated latte machines on the market. Since a latte is essentially a shot of espresso mixed with milk, what you need to look for is a coffee machine that comes with a milk frother to make the perfect latte. Coffee machines come in different shapes and sizes and have varied features, but we can divide all coffee machines into 4 broad categories:
Top 5 Latte Machines
The base of a good latte is a well-made espresso, but that’s not all you need. You also need perfectly frothed, hot milk to create the best latte. Most espresso machines don’t have an inbuilt milk frothing feature, which means you have to prepare the milk separately. This takes both extra time and effort.
Though the market isn’t full of these machines, bigger manufacturing brands realized the need for such espresso machines and released models with inbuilt milk carafes and frothers. Here we have listed the top 5 latte machines for your convenience:
Gaggia is famous for making one of the best espresso machines on the market. Their amazing barista line machines can be seen in nearly every popular café in town. While their previous models came with a manual frothing apparatus, their Anima line is composed of fully automatic machines that come with auto-frothing milk carafes.
This machine is a dream for all latte lovers as it allows you to make excellent latte at the push of a button. Its fully programmable feature includes buttons for lattes, cappuccinos, macchiato, and espresso. All you have to do is fill the milk carafe, put your mug in place, and push a button for your latte to be ready to drink.
- This fully automatic machine allows you to choose three different temperature settings for your latte. You can choose from Min/177.5°F, Med/182.9°F, Max/184.5°F.
- The auto-frothing features allow for a hands-free operation. You can also replace the milk carafe to attach a hot water spout to dispense water for tea
- The machine has a 60oz. removable water reservoir and has an automatic standby mode that reduces energy consumption
- It comes with a one year warranty
- This machine requires a lot of maintenance. As a fully automatic, you need to make sure that the machine is clean and that you don’t use any low- quality coffee grounds in it because they will likely get stuck
- Though this is covered by a one- year warranty, the customer service at Gaggia is not easy to work with if your machine gets broken. You have to pay for return shipping yourself and they take at least 4 weeks to get the machine back to you.
- This is a fairly expensive buy
The Keurig Rivo machine is our first pod coffee machine on the list. Made famous by Nespresso, pod coffee machines are a breeze to use. Their main selling point is convenience because you don’t have to measure coffee beans and mix blends, you can simply choose your favorite flavor pod and pop it in the machine. You also don’t have to worry about mixing in exact quantities of coffee and water because the machine does that for you.
The Keurig Rivo isn’t the best pod machine out there, but it certainly is a good value for the price. This plastic coffee maker brews an amazing latte in 3 min and it comes with a milk carafe frother with three modes for cappuccino, latte, and cold froth.
- This machine is the best choice for those who are short on time and want their lattes to be ready quickly. You are able to make a latte at under 5 min
- The process used by this machine to extract flavor from the pods is amazing. The top of the pod is infused with hot water through small holes first and then a hole in the bottom dispenses all that flavor.
- This is a very affordable machine
- The all plastic body means this isn’t the most durable coffee maker on the market. Also, the milk carafe is prone to clouding with time
- You can only use Lavazza coffee pods with this machine and they don’t offer a wide selection of coffee blends
- The milk frother tends to give inconsistent results
Anyone who loves coffee has tried or bought a Mr. Coffee machine at least once in their life. Mr. Coffee doesn’t just make incredible coffee machines, it makes incredibly affordable coffee machines as well. The BVMC-EL1 joins the ranks of Mr. Coffee machine by being a model that makes great tasting latte in under 5 min.
This machine doesn’t use the traditional steam method to make the espresso or froth the milk but still creates a latte that can be enjoyed anytime. It also makes a pot of the coffee so you don’t have to wait to serve two or three people at the same time.
- This machine is quick and convenient. It is also a dedicated latte maker, which means you don’t have to follow a lot of steps to make latte, you can just press a single button to make it.
- The machine has an automatic turn off feature.
- The machine can be used to make a number of other milk drinks. It comes packed with a recipe book full of latte and hot chocolate recipes.
- This is an inexpensive machine.
- This machine doesn’t use the traditional steam method to make latte, which means the latte it makes is less strong and mild tasting.
- It isn’t dishwasher safe, which means you have to clean the pot yourself.
- You have to preheat your cup to get a steaming cup of coffee as this coffee maker only makes warm latte.
- You have to put in your own coffee filters to get the right taste.
Whenever you think of quality coffee makers you inevitably turn to DeLonghi. Put Nespresso capsule technology into the mix and you have a coffee maker to die for. We’ve discussed how Nespresso outsources its technology to some big names in the coffee market and makes its own branded machines as well.
But we chose the Delonghi Lattissima because it has a fully automatic milk frothing carafe which can be used to make one touch milk based drinks.
This particular model is made from both stain-less steel and plastic. It is available in all black, black and silver, and red and black colors. This machine also houses the Nespresso patented capsule system which means you can brew your favorite blend of latte pretty much hands-free.
- The biggest pro of this model is that you can get a latte at the press of a button and that you don’t have to froth milk separately
- The size of this model is also a pro, since this fits snugly into any corner of your kitchen or house
- The machine also dispenses just hot milk, so you can make other drinks as well
- The water reservoir is a really nice size, so you don’t have to refill it every other day
- This machine tends to drip a little more than usual after every brew cycle, so you have to clean the drip tray periodically
- This machine is only compatible with Nespresso capsules, which aren’t the most reasonably priced on the market
- The machine doesn’t dispense really hot coffee or milk. To remedy that you have to run empty cycles to warm the cup up first
Gourmia may be a lesser known brand in the coffee machine industry, but it is one that has been gaining popularity for some time. This is mainly because they offer a less costly alternative to the more expensive fully automatic coffee machines. This particular model is perfect for making milk drinks because it comes with a milk frothing carafe.
It offers a one-touch solution to brewing a perfect cup of latte. All you have to do is fill the carafe with milk and put in your favorite latte blend pod. The machine is also ETL certified which means you are getting a good quality product.
- The machine is automatic and makes the latte making process practically hands-free
- It is sleek and stylish so you can place it anywhere in your kitchen or house
- This is an incredibly affordable product
- The size of the latte is smaller than usual. You can’t produce or fit bigger cups in the machine
- The machine seems to work well with Nespresso pods but gives inconsistent results when other brands are used
- This isn’t the easiest machine to clean
- The milk that is frothed isn’t hot or even warm so the temperature of your prepared latte is at best luke warm
Our Top Pick
Latte is probably our favorite drink as it combines the power of an espresso and the creaminess of milk. Choosing one particular latte maker was a difficult task since no single machine had all the features we were looking for.
However, after much deliberation, we chose the DeLonghi Lattissima Plus Nespresso Capsule System as our favorite. We decided to stick with this old favorite because it really does deliver what is promised.
A stand out feature is that it actually warms the milk as it froths it which means we get a fairly hot cup of coffee. If you like your coffee hotter you can easily do that as well by running an empty run first to warm up your mug. The best thing about this coffee maker is that you get a full cup of delicious latte at the press of a button.
Do you agree with our top pick? Let us know in the comments section below.