I am yet to find a person who does not like chicken. It is chicken that most of us love to make on special occasions or when expecting guests that we are dying to impress. Maybe it’s why we have come up with so many ways to cook it.
I am a hardcore chicken fan. "Nothing a good chicken wing can't fix," my mother always said. It then comes as no surprise that I love chicken salad. "So, what goes well with chicken salad?" Well, it's high time you found out.
Suitable Side Dishes For Chicken Salad
- Over the years, I have come up with a list of side dishes that go well with some chicken salad. This list comes from my eating experience and some research.
- It has come to my attention that a good side dish for chicken salad needs to balance out the protein in the chicken. Vegetables and carbohydrates are a popular choice. However, these are not the only choices you have.
- The following are some of the best side dishes for the chicken salad ready for your picking.
1. Vegetable Salads
- I have found that chicken salad goes very well with vegetable salads like cucumber or tomato salad. The vegetable balance out the protein in the chicken salad and this combination usually tastes amazing.
- My personal favorite is the Persian Cucumber salad. It contains both cucumbers and tomatoes. This salad tastes good not only with chicken salad but also with any grilled meat.
- It has a bonus of being an antioxidant and also low in calories, making it extremely healthy for you.
- Grilled vegetables are also an excellent side dish for chicken salad. They are considered delicious and go well with almost anything. You can grill cabbage, lettuce or asparagus.
- You can learn how to make delicious grilled vegetables here. This video is very instructive and will give you a step by step guide to making amazing grilled vegetables.
2. Fruit Salad
- The best fruit salad, in this case, is the grape salad. The way grapes go with chicken is irresistible. In fact, many kinds of chicken salad include grapes. Avocado salad can also be an excellent alternative.
- Strawberries and raspberries are also a good choice. One fruit salad that I thoroughly recommend is the kale, avocado, tangerine and sesame salad. These ingredients blend so well while also providing vitamins.
- Two types of rice that are go well with chicken salad are wild rice and brown rice. You can even go ahead and make a rice salad. You can make brown rice, apple, walnuts and cherry salad.
- The cherries make the rice sweet while the nuts make it crunchy. This salad is easy to make and goes well with anything, so that's a bonus. You should always have brown rice like this in your kitchen.
- You never know when you will need to fix up a good side dish. "Better safe than sorry," we were always taught.
- Bread will make a beautiful side dish for the chicken salad, and it comes in a wide variety. Garlic bread is a popular choice. Crusty bread like French or sourdough is an excellent addition. You can also use the good old fashioned white bread and make a sandwich.
5. French Fries
- Do I have to tell you that French fries go with chicken salad? I feel like this is obvious, given that restaurant chains have made bucket loads of money from serving French fries with chicken.
- You can add a dash of vinegar to the French fries to add flavor to them. This meal will not be deemed healthy, but it is quite delightful.
6. Potato Chips
- The crunchiness of potato chips makes them an excellent side dish for chicken salad. It’s delicious. They make a fantastic snack. The potato chips can be homemade, or store-bought, like these.
- I was surprised to find out that soup also goes well with the chicken salad. I know, right? Who knew? I recommend the Matzo ball soup. You can also make some miso soup to eat with your chicken salad.
- It is both delicious and easy to make. If you don’t know how to make miso soup, you can learn from this video.
- Green beans can be a good side dish for chicken salad. You can heat the beans with garlic and rosemary then separate the beans from spices. Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs on them to add flavor. You should always have green beans like these around.
- You can also choose the White beans and roasted vegetable salad. They are quite delightful and easy to make. All you need is some vegetables and canned beans, which you can find here.
- Herbed sweet corn and tomato salad also go very well with the chicken salad. You can make them from grilled corn and tomatoes. This side dish needs to be seasoned well.
- Pasta can serve as a beautiful side dish for chicken salad. You can even go all-out and make a pasta salad with feta and tomatoes.
The Bottom Line
At the end of the day, there are very many chicken salad recipes so there isn't one perfect side dish I can recommend to be better than the others in the list above. It all depends on the ingredients in your chicken salad and which side dish you love most.
Remember, these are just a few examples of what you could use. I would recommend you try out as many side dishes as possible until you find the one that tickles your fancy.
If you do choose to make the brown rice or beans I have suggested above, you can get your ingredients here and here. Check and grab yours today!Any feedback is highly encouraged. I am always eager to read about your thoughts in the comment section.