Subway Tuna Recipes: Best Ways To Prepare It At Home
Interested to know more about Subway tuna recipes? We got you covered in the rest of this post. You do not have to be a seasoned chef to prepare this delicious and healthy treat. You just need to spare a short time and exert little effort to make your own sandwich!
Basic Subway Tuna Recipe
There are several Subway tuna recipes that you can try at home. The good news is that most of them will require only basic ingredients, which are possibly readily available in the kitchen - tuna and bread.
For the basic recipe, you will need the following:
- 6 ounces of light tuna in chunk water
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- Choice of bread
Once you have gathered the ingredients that are needed, here are the steps to prepare your sandwich:
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients, except the bread, of course! Start with the tuna and add everything else. Make sure that they are thoroughly mixed so that flavor will be more consistent in every bite.
- Although mixing by hand can be done, you also have the option use a blender to mix the ingredients. This will make the spread more consistent.
- Spread the tuna on the top of the bread. Heat the bread if you prefer eating it warm. Enjoy your sandwich!
Healthier Classic Sandwich
Tuna is already healthy, especially compared to meat. You can make it even healthier if you will follow a recipe that uses a lot of vegetables as the spread. With this, here are the ingredients that you should prepare:
- 5 ounces of light drained tuna
- 3 tablespoons of light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Now that you have gathered your ingredients, you can start making your sandwich. Here’s how to do this:
- In a bowl, combine tuna and mayonnaise. If you want it to be more flavorful, add a pinch of onion and pepper. Chill the tuna, if preferred.
- Lay the bread flat. Place the lettuce, onion, tomato, and pickles. You can basically add other vegetables, as desired.
- Once the vegetables are placed on the top of the bread, spread the tuna. Add another slice of bread on the top.
- Enjoy your tuna sandwich.
Making It Likes a Traditional Subway Sandwich
While you can choose any bread that you like, if you want it to be more like what is served in Subway, you should also use the same type of bread that they are serving in their restaurants. If you have more time, you can even consider baking your own bread.
First, you have to use the same sizes of their bread. In this case, you will generally have two choices: a half sub, which has a length of six inches and a full sub, which has a length of 12 inches.
In terms of flavor and variety, on the other hand, the following are the breads that they serve in their stores: flatbread, rye bread, Italian herbs and cheese, Italian, multigrain bread, and 9-grain wheat bread.
If you are interested in making your own bread, below is a short video that can help:
Making Your Own Sauces
If you want your tuna to be more flavorful, there is one thing that will surely make a huge difference – your choice of sauce. Sure, you can use ketchup or mustard. But, if you want a distinct flavor, you can experiment with variations.
One of the sauces that you can use is a combination of barbecue sauce and honey. This will result in a salty flavor with a hint of sweetness. Add more honey if you want it sweeter or more barbecue sauce if you want it saltier.
Chipotle Southwest is one of the most popular sauces from Subway. You can imitate it as well. All that needs to be done is to combine the following ingredients: mayonnaise, lime juice, granulated sugar, minced cilantro, white vinegar, paprika, salt, garlic powder, thyme, chipotle chili, and water.
Health Benefits of A Tuna Sandwich
Preparing your own version of a Subway tuna sandwich is a good idea to save money compared to buying in stores. At the same time, it makes a flavorful and healthy meal, especially if you are watching your weight.
Among others, tuna is known for being an excellent source of healthy fats, including Omega-3 fatty acids. This will be effective in helping to fight inflammation and improve cardiovascular health, among others.
When it comes to vitamins, on the other hand, tuna is a potent source of niacin, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B12. It also has zinc, magnesium, and iron. It is important to note, however, that a single serving of tuna sandwich will not be enough to have the recommended amount of these vitamins.
Your choice of bread will also be crucial in making your tuna recipe healthy. With this, whole wheat or grain bread is the best. You can also eat it without the bread. Instead, you can mix it with lettuce, tomatoes, nuts, and other healthy ingredients.
Subway tuna recipes are easy to prepare even on your own. Basic ingredients are needed and you do not need to have a luxury of time. In sum, here are the things that have been discussed above:
- To make classic Subway tuna salad, simply combine tuna, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For a healthier alternative, on the other hand, you can add vegetables to your recipe. This will make the sandwich more filling while still being nutritious.
- To complete the recipe, you should also choose the right bread and sauce. You can make it in the comfort of your home as well.
Have you tried making your own Subway tuna at home? Do you have other suggestions on how to do it? Do not hesitate to leave a comment below.