How To Make Maroon Icing: A Quick Guide For Beginners
If you want to learn how to make maroon icing, keep on reading this post. I will let you know how you can achieve the perfect color. It should not just be red, but a darker and distinct shade. When the perfect color is complemented with the perfect design, your baked goodies will surely be a sweet treat!
A lot of you who are new to baking might feel intimidated, thinking that making a maroon-colored icing is a complicated task. With a little patience to spare, however, it can be an easy job, especially if you follow the steps and tips that will be mentioned below.
How To Make White Icing
Let me tell you one thing first – you do not make a maroon icing in an instant. It is a gradual process, which should begin by making a clean white icing. After you make this, it is the only time that you can have it colored to achieve the perfect shade. Here are the materials that you will need:
- Softened, unsalted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Corn syrup
- Electric beater
Once you have already gathered these materials, you can now begin.
- In a deep bowl, mix one and half sticks of unsalted butter. Make sure that it is already softened so that it will be easy to beat.
- Next, add one pound of confectioner’s sugar. Just continue beating on medium speed for about five minutes.
- If the icing ends up being too thick, you may want to add at least one tablespoon of milk. Three tablespoons of corn syrup or water can also be a good addition to the icing if you want it to be thin.
How To Make Maroon Icing
Once your white icing is ready, it is now time to have it colored with maroon. To do this, here are the materials that you will need:
- White icing
- Rose pink and violet food coloring gel
- Mixing bowl
Here are the simple steps that you should follow when making maroon icing:
- Place your white icing in a mixing bowl. Make sure that it is deep enough to accommodate the amount of icing that you want to color.
- Add a drop of violet food coloring gel and five drops of rose pink food coloring gel. This is for two cups of white icing. If you have more icing, increase the amount of drops so that you will end up with bold colors.
- Mix the icing with the use of your spatula. Check the color. If it is still too light, add more gel.
- Once you have achieved the desired color, cover it with plastic. Leave it for at least one hour. This should be more than enough for the color to be absorbed.
- After an hour, if the icing turns out to be darker than the intended color, you can mix a small amount of white icing. This will help to lighten the color.
After preparing the maroon icing, it is time to decorate. Here are some of the steps that you might want to follow:
- You can decorate using the cookie-cutter trick. In this case, simply press a cookie cutter on the top of a flat icing. By now, you will have a design pattern that you can trace when piping.
- The toothpick trick can also work. With this, poke the flat layer with a toothpick and draw the design that is preferred. Just follow the dots when you are ready to pipe.
Decorating might seem difficult at first. Here is a short video that will show you some of the basic decorating techniques. There are different colors used in the video, but all of them apply even for maroon icing:
Now that you have your maroon icing, here are some of the most important tips that you have to know. By keeping these things in mind, it will be easier for you to come up with the perfect sweet treat!
- See to it that the cake has cooled down before you decorate it with your maroon icing. Letting it sit on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes will be enough. If it is still hot, this will cause the icing to melt and will create a mess.
- If you have the luxury of time, you can also wrap the cake in plastic and cool it in the fridge before you proceed with icing. This will remove the crumbs and will make the icing stick easily on the surface.
- It is also important to use the right tools. Whether it is a spatula or a piping bag, make sure that you have the materials that are needed to come up with the perfect design. A narrow spatula with a flat surface is one of the essentials to make smooth surfaces.
- Mix the icing evenly and with enough force. An electric beater is one thing that you will need. If it is not mixed properly, it will be difficult to end up with the perfect maroon shade.
- Is your icing too sweet? This can be because you have used more sugar than recommended. One of the best solutions is to add mascarpone cheese. This will be effective in taming the sweetness.
- When using a pastry bag, make sure that it is filled properly. Packets of air will affect the amount of icing that comes out of the tip.
- You should also invest in icing or frosting kits. This will surely make your life a lot easier and will increase the likelihood of coming up with a clean design. They are available in a variety of patterns, which will allow you to experiment with different styles.
- If you do not have the patience and the creativity, you can simply fill the top of the cake or cupcake with a flat maroon icing. To make it more attractive, use lit letters, candles, and other cake toppers. They are already designed and all that you have to do is stick them on the top of the icing.
- You should also do the decorating in a room that is cool. If it is too hot, there is a tendency that the icing will easily melt. Once done decorating, if the cakes will not yet be eaten, also make sure to store it properly. The fridge is preferred.
By now, I hope that you were able to gain valuable insights on how to make maroon icing. It is not as complicated as what you have initially thought. Start by making the perfect white icing with the right thickness and proceed to have it colored with the perfect shade of maroon. Once it is ready, you can experiment with different techniques to come up with an attractive design for your sweet treats.
Have you tried making maroon icing before? How did you do it? Are there tips that you would like to share? Do not hesitate to leave a comment below.