How To Store Macarons: Best Ways to Keep It Crisp And Soft
Crisp from the outside, soft on the inside – this is what you can expect from a fresh macaron. Whether you decide to bake one at home or buy from a store, it will prove to be a delicious treat any time of the day. Your guests will surely love it, but only if you are able to retain their top condition even through the days.
The key to enjoying macaron is to eat it while it is fresh. After all, why would you leave it sitting on the counter or fridge for a couple of days when these sweets are irresistible? Well, unfortunately, there are many instances wherein you need to keep them. With this, you should know how to store macarons to make sure that their freshness will be retained.
What You Will Need To Follow This Tutorial
The following are the materials that you should gather to follow the steps that will be mentioned in the next part of this guide:
- Glass container
- Plastic container
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Store Macarons
There are different effective ways by which you can store macarons and maintain their freshness. In this section, we will briefly look at some of the best things that you can do.
Storing Macarons After Baking
Making your own macarons is easy. The steps will not be mentioned in this post as we will just focus on their storage. If you make them at home, below are the steps on how you can store them.
- Straight from the oven, let the macaron shells cool down. This is an important procedure to be sure that they do not crack and that they stay crisp. Take note that these shells are fragile, which is why filling them sooner than necessary can lead to breakage.
- Fill the shells as desired. Cream cheese, fruit jams, and fondue are just some of the most popular. As much as possible, fill the shells before they are stored.
- Store the macarons in a sealed container with an airtight seal. Make sure that the lid is tight and that air will not penetrate inside. Otherwise, macaron will end up soggy and dry.
- Keep the macaron in the pantry if you are ready to consume it within the day. On the other hand, if you are not yet ready, keep it in the fridge.
Storing Macarons In The Refrigerator
If you opt to keep macarons in the fridge, on the other hand, below are the things that you should note:
- Place the macarons in a container with an airtight seal. It is best to use a plastic or glass container. Keeping the macarons in a plastic bag is not recommended. This is because the shells are crisp and sensitive. If it gets in contact with anything that is heavy, it will easily break.
- Refrigerating the macaron is best to be done within three days. After this, you should consume the macaron as its quality may be inferior. On the other hand, keep it in the freezer if you plan to store it for the long-term. According to some users. Freezing macaron will make it last for up to six months.
- It is also important to position the macaron properly in the fridge. Do not keep it near the door. This is to make sure that the temperature will be more consistent.
Other Ways To Store Macarons
Aside from storing the macarons in a plastic or glass container, the following are other alternatives that you might want to consider:
- Box: This should not just be any box. The box has to be hard enough and should not crumple when placed in the fridge or freezer. Especially the high-end macaron shops, they will provide packaging in what appears to be a hard gift box, which is ideal for storage.
- Ziploc: A clear plastic bag will be good if you plan to store macaron over the counter for just a day. You can also use it for the fridge, but make sure that it is in a safe place. otherwise, there is a possibility that the shells will break.
Knowing how to store macarons is just the tip of the iceberg. There are other important things that you should know, such as how to properly bake them and their shelf life. This section will quickly discuss other important things that you have to keep in mind.
Know the Shelf Life of Macarons
If you plan to leave macaron in a box or container at room temperature, it will only most likely last for a day or two. Exposure to moisture will make it more prone to spoilage and from being soggy. In the fridge, you can keep it for up to three days. In the freezer, meanwhile, you can store it for up to six months.
Keep The Container Clean and Dry
f you opt to keep it in a plastic or glass container, see to it that it is clean and dry. If there is water, this can lead to the presence of moisture and will make the shell softer after several days. So, try to use a paper towel to clean the water properly. On the other hand, do not use glass if you plan to refrigerate macarons. At extreme temperatures, glass can break inside the freezer.
Follow the Instructions from the Manufacturer
For store-bought macarons, it is important to pay attention to the instructions stated by the manufacturer. They may use different methods in baking, as well ingredients. Some might spoil quicker than the others.
Let It Cool Before Eating
This is especially important if you kept the macaron in the freezer. Do not eat it right after taking it out. It is best to wait for 30 to 60 minutes before you start eating them. If it is too cold, it won’t taste as delicious!
Macarons are fragile and best enjoyed when they are fresh. If you have no choice but to keep them for future consumption, however, you should know how to store macarons the right way. We hope that the discussions above were able to provide you with valuable insights.
Did you enjoy reading this guide? Have you tried storing macarons before? How did you do it? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section.