How To Cook Kielbasa: Do It Like A Pro
Kielbasa is a Polish name for sausage. Allow me to point out to the fact that it is a generic term and does not refer to a specific type of sausage. Compared to most types of sausages, however, those from Poland have a more pronounced garlic flavor and the texture is coarser.
While you can buy kielbasa in supermarkets or in restaurants, you can also make them in the comfort of your own home. The recipes will vary depending on where you get them. In this post, we’ll let you know how to cook kielbasa the easy way. There is no need to have extensive experience in the kitchen to follow the steps in this guide.
What You Will Need To Follow This Tutorial
While there are many ways to cook, generally speaking, the following are the materials that you will need:
Step-by-Step Guide On How To Make Kielbasa
In this section, we will let you know the different ways of cooking kielbasa. Take note that the assertion is that kielbasa is already prepared. You can buy from the grocery or make one at home.
Cooking Kielbasa In A Stove
No kitchen is complete without a stove. With this, there is no wonder why the stove top is the most popular method of cooking kielbasa. To be assured of the best outcomes, here are the steps that you should follow:
- Once the skillet is placed on the stove, the first thing that you have to do is to oil the pan. Brush it with your choice of oil. If you are using a pan that is already pre-seasoned, you can skip this step.
- Cut the kielbasa on a clean chopping board. The length of the sausage may vary on personal preferences, but I recommend cutting it at least four inches per portion. You can cut it into thin slices, especially if you plan to prepare it as finger food.
- Place the kielbasa on the pan, making sure that there is enough space for each piece to be cooked evenly.
- Turn on the stove to medium heat. Cook the kielbasa for at least three minutes per side. You can cover the skillet to avoid oil from spattering.
- Once it is cooked, place the kielbasa on a plate with paper towels. The latter is important as it will absorb the excess oil. Allow it to sit for a while before eating. Consume while it is hot.
Alternatively, you can also cook the kielbasa in water instead of oil. Here are the steps that you should follow:
- Arrange the kielbasa in a pan and cover with water. The level of water should be enough to cover the sausage.
- Turn the stove to medium heat.
- Let the water boil. Once it has reached boiling temperature, reduce the level of heat.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for about half an hour.
- Take out the excess water and serve kielbasa as desired.
Below is a short video that will give you a quick visual guide on how to cook kielbasa in a skillet:
Cooking Kielbasa In The Oven
You can also cook the kielbasa in the oven. Some people opt to roast it straight, while there are some who choose to boil the kielbasa first. In the case of the latter, here are the things that you should do:
- Place kielbasa in a stockpot with water or beef broth. Bring it to a boil.
- After boiling, lessen the level of heat and allow the sausage to simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Take the sausage out of the stockpot. Place it in a roasting pan along with a cup of stock from where you have boiled it earlier. You can also add herbs and spices of choice to have a stronger flavor.
- Roast it in an oven with heat that is at least 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook it for 20 minutes or until the kielbasa turns brown.
- Slice the kielbasa and serve as desired.
If you are hosting an outdoor party with friends or if you are in the campsite, grilling is one of the best ways to enjoy kielbasa.
- Start by simmering the kielbasa in hot water for about 15 minutes. This will make the sausage tender and will reduce the grilling time that is required.
- Start a fire in a grill or turn it on if you are using an electric grill. Brush the racks with oil. Arrange the kielbasa and start grilling. Do this for at least 10 minutes on each side or until you notice that it is already cooked.
- Slice and enjoy your kielbasa.
Aside from the steps mentioned above, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- While kielbasa is already bursting with distinct flavors, it will taste even better if it comes with a dipping sauce. Among others, brown mustard is perhaps one of the best. Tartar sauce, or even a simple mayonnaise, will also perfectly complement the taste of kielbasa.
- Aside from the dip, it is also important to pair kielbasa with the right sides. Rice and mashed potato are some of the most common. It also goes well with hash brown, mushrooms, and baked beans.
- Pay attention to the specific type of kielbasa that you have as the methods of cooking may vary. For instance, there is a variety that is known as dry kielbasa. This is a type of cold meat. Hence, it is best eaten cold and not fried, grilled, or baked.
In this post, we have discussed how to cook kielbasa in the easiest ways possible. As mentioned, you will have different choices in cooking kielbasa, such as through the stove, oven, or grill. Pay attention as well to the tips that we have mentioned to enjoy a tasty sausage!
Have you tried cooking kielbasa before? Is there any other method that you can recommend? Feel free to leave a comment below.